Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here though I've check out the site for years. 

I'm going to be building and 85 Ramcharger with plans to road trip from Michigan to Colorado and wheel/camp for a couple weeks next summer.

the starting point:
85 318,727, 4x4, ex plow truck, mostly stock.
31X10.50x15s
surprisingly decent body for a Michigan plow truck.

My plan as time and money permit to be ready for next summer.
Build and install a mild 400 and 727
4.10 gears 84 down dana 44 front with lsd, 9.25 rear(have lsd now locker depending on time/funds)
4 inch or so lift(looking for input on this)  I'd like a better ride than stock.
35s
camping outfitting(open to suggestions, trying to make it work for myself and a 150lb pup)
Roll Cage(want to but likely won't end up happening)
rust repair with quick paint.
make the a/c work.
EFI(probably not going to happen)

Edit:  Well things have changed a bit.  The body work is going well beyond quick and dirty rust repair.  That means adventure wheeling is probably out.

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
dang what did you do to that trans?  :eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
username408 said:
I don't know what I did different but pictures seem to be working now.
You weren't doing anything wrong. This forum has a 3 post requirement before new members can post pics.

It almost looks like the transmission's park pawl got engaged while the vehicle was still moving.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
making some quick progress.  looks good

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulled a head to check what the 400 will need. The stock pistons are about 0.100" in the hole. It will clean up at 0.020" over. Hoping to get the rebuild started around the end of January.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is awesome!  Love the work so far - excited to see the final expedition version.  I had a 400 in my first RC - I have a lot of love for that engine.  Do you have the tranny for it yet?  What xfr case are you going to do?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 727 for the 400. I'll swap tailshaft and extension housing with an 80's small block 727 and run the factory t case. I think it's a 208, might be a 241.

I do need to find a way to mount the 85 A/C compressor to the 400. If anyone has input on that.

G

·
Very nice work. You might consider upgrading your back bench to a 3rd row, 3 seat belt, seat from a Chev Suburban 1500LT.. basically a drop in, also shown on this site... Again, nice clean truck... Good luck..
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
username408 said:
Pulled a head to check what the 400 will need. The stock pistons are about 0.100" in the hole. It will clean up at 0.020" over. Hoping to get the rebuild started around the end of January.

I'm confused! Why is the distributor in the front of the engine? ;)

·
Registered
758 Posts
That's where every dodge truck should have them, right?  :)

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
so your sayin install ford small blocks ??? !!!! no thanks . ;)

·
Registered
758 Posts
dodge82273 said:
so your sayin install ford small blocks ??? !!!! no thanks . ;)
No, silly! I like big blocks and I can not lie... ;D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.