Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Well after fixing everything else.my son and i where driving around town and i couldnt get it to go into 4 wheel drive.he dropped me off and went out with his freind and he told me the light came on and was in 4 wheel drive. I told him ok good dont take it out.  Well today i was driving around and my dumb ass took it out now it wont go back in. I know its vacume . What should i look at first. The lines seem ok

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
The connections and lines can fool you. They get hard and crack causing leaks.

I would start where they hook to the engine and work your way down to the "ball" and go from there.

personally I HATE vacuum 4x4. my wife's 2000 Cummins has leaks I can't find and will not go into 4x4, work the heater, or the speed control. All because of vacuum.  :mad:

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
mopar65pa said:
personally I HATE vacuum 4x4. my wife's 2000 Cummins has leaks I can't find and will not go into 4x4, work the heater, or the speed control. All because of vacuum. :mad:
Yeah, vacuum sucks.

;D

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
On the vacuum tree on the rear of the intake.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The ball is just a vacuum reservoir and usually not the problem.  The most common issues are the lines themselves, the switch on the transfer case and the actuator on the axle.

Note that the actuator is expensive, and it is possible to permanently engage the axle without spending any money by moving the actuator fork over on it's shaft.  Then you can add normal manual locking hubs if you wish.  The truck will lose the "shift on the fly" ability, but will work fine with manual hubs.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
Before you get more teed off , try this , put the handle in 4x4 , get out on dry (?) pavement , turn tight , ( test if the front IS IN or not ) .  Do Not trust the dumb light , our winter truck , goes in / out every day , the light ? sometimes works , sometimes don't ... she has NO problem on the ice / snow driveway IF she puts it in 4x4 light or no light , and it would NOT make the driveway if it were NOT in 4X4 , I try it for testing .... remember in 4X4 it will spin only one front tire , maybe not the side your looking at ....

·
Administrator
62,301 Posts
Elwenil said:
The truck will lose the "shift on the fly" ability, but will work fine with manual hubs.
If you keep the hubs locked in, you still have shift of the fly. Just lock the hubs before you take off, if you think you may need 4wd. Or lock them in the fall, and unlock them in the spring. Or just keep them locked in all the time, unless you are going to take a highway trip.

CADS locked, hubs locked, you can go in and out of 4wd all day long.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yepper the locked hubs are the same exact thing as the factory hockey pucks , except you CAN unlock them . all my trucks (6) have manual hubs , and shift on the fly . 

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
SuperBurban said:
If you keep the hubs locked in, you still have shift of the fly. Just lock the hubs before you take off, if you think you may need 4wd. Or lock them in the fall, and unlock them in the spring. Or just keep them locked in all the time, unless you are going to take a highway trip.

CADS locked, hubs locked, you can go in and out of 4wd all day long.
Yeah, but I hesitate to call that "shift on the fly" since these days it means push a button and it's magically in 4WD all by itself with no other input needed. The transfer case will still shift while moving but you do have to lock the hubs beforehand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im in ND where its 8 below all the time. Yea the light does come on in 4×4 but yea not all the time.  Im going to run the nipco heater in the shop and see wtf is going on  it has lock outs. 

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
I have a hand pump vacuum pump with a gauge so I can disconnect at the manifold and test for a drop in vacuum. Then work my way around the system from there to find the problem.

I just can do that on my wife's truck because i have no clue where stuff goes.  {noclue} heck even the speed control won't hold a vacuum.  :mad:

·
Registered
232 Posts
CrazyCharger said:
Im in ND where its 8 below all the time. Yea the light does come on in 4×4 but yea not all the time. Im going to run the nipco heater in the shop and see wtf is going on it has lock outs.
I'll still come and pick it up. ;)

·
Administrator
62,301 Posts
Elwenil said:
Yeah, but I hesitate to call that "shift on the fly" since these days it means push a button and it's magically in 4WD all by itself with no other input needed. The transfer case will still shift while moving but you do have to lock the hubs beforehand.
Call it what you want, there is no problem with leaving the hubs locked in all the time.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Eh, there is in some cases.  I don't know if it's wear in the front shaft or the fact that it's shorter due to the D60, but you can definitely tell the hubs are engaged.  Not really a vibration or anything, just a bit of noise and the steering feels a little different.  I left my hubs locked for a few days when we had bad weather, mainly because my HMMWV tires suck on ice and it's nice to yank it in 4WD to get moving and bump it back to 2WD.  But usually my hubs stay unlocked.  There isn't much hassle with the external D60 hubs anyway, I've never had them freeze up.

·
Administrator
62,301 Posts
Only time in the last several years mine have been unlocked, was when I took the highway trip to pick up the big South Bend lathe last spring. Then they got locked back in afterwards. Not sure why, the last time I used the 4wd, was a good 4 or so years ago. I use one of the full time trucks if I travel into the mountains.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
LOL with a 44 and factory hockey pucks its the same as hubs that are locked . spyders OR drive shaft has to turn because at least 1 axle is turning all the time . with a D 60 and no cad , its the drive shaft thats turning if the hubs are locked , either adds drag to the front tires when the transfer is in 2wd .

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
dodge82273 said:
LOL with a 44 and factory hockey pucks its the same as hubs that are locked . spyders OR drive shaft has to turn because at least 1 axle is turning all the time . with a D 60 and no cad , its the drive shaft thats turning if the hubs are locked , either adds drag to the front tires when the transfer is in 2wd .
The new trucks the entire front turns all the time. So why was the full-time so bad again? Seems they went back to it............ ::)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.