Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an '85 Ramcharger (as my first vehicle) that runs well and the interior is passable but the electrical is shot. The only electronic that works are the headlights and they are dim because I need a new alternator :-\. The last owner rigged it for a remote start and an an alarm and the rest of that crap. I am going to rip it all out but I need to know what to pull and what not to pull. Is there a place where I can find complete wiring diagrams for the whole truck? I had seen to look in the galleries but I couldn't find them. {noclue}

G

·
Man it seems like 90% of our trucks on there are "rigged".....

If your interested i know there is some website (that i can think of right now) that sell wiring harnesses, and they have a dodge truck specialty, and its not painless wiring

·
Registered
29,344 Posts
you could also email me for the LARGE wiring diagrams

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
the remote start is the best place to start ... them things are all ways fn up !
and alot of installers used scotch locks  ::)

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Once you get your diagrams, find the fusible links just down stream of the battery.  Check to see if they are intact.  Most trucks with severely hacked wiring have blown fusible links the previous owner was unable/unwilling or ignorant of them and how to fix. 

Easy repair and you might just get back up and running faster and alot cheaper than you thought.

Welcome to the madness by the way

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, this is Tactical Cowboy's Dad, Kirk.

I really appreciate your patience with helping him out on this.  This is his first truck and he is learning.  The electrical issues remind me of my first car, a 68 GTO, which I spent hours diagnosing from the previous bonehead's mistakes.  Friends don't let friends use scotch locks!!  ;D

He pulled the alternator tonight because the field was showing open with an ohmeter.  When we opened it up it was discovered that the wire that connects the field winding to the commutator had broke loose.  We soldered it up, put it back together, and installed it in the truck.  We now have 14VDC at the battery when the truck is running.  I kind of figured that it was something small because the alternator looks like a recent rebuild.

For some reason a bunch of stuff came to life with the higher voltage so we killed a lot of birds with that stone.

Dodgeboys- We want to start fixing the wiring under the dash so I will have him send you an email.  We are shooting in the dark without those drawings so it would be helpful.

Next we need some help with replacing the front crankshaft seal.  It is leaking pretty bad when the truck is running.  I did a search but can't find a how-to for this and am unfamiliar with the 318.

Thanks again!

G

·
TacticalCowboy said:
Next we need some help with replacing the front crankshaft seal.
The front crankshaft seal is in the timing chain cover and its a press in fit, you will have to remove the crankshaft damper to get to it....

when you replace it i have seen that in some of my moper engine rebuild books, the author puts silicone gasket maker around the seal, just to try and make it a better seal....

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Oh yeah, scotch locks are only for get me home emergency repairs.  That said I am guilty of leaving an "emergency" repair for over a year!

Depending on what accessory are mounted on the front of the engine You may also have to loosen up the  power steering and or air pump brackets to get the harmonic balancer off the crank.  After that a small bit of 2x4 with a large cut out in the middle greater than the diameter of the seal makes an awesome seal driver!

Cheers

Chris

P.S.  lucky kid to have a father willing to help him with his first truck and teach him all that is knowable!

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
MidnightExpress78 said:
Yes that is an amazing thing to have, but some of us have to learn alone :'(
You're not alone, you have us ;D However we probably wont give you a beer after a difficult repair in a "bonding" moment!

Cheers

Chris

·
Administrator
60,461 Posts
TacticalCowboy said:
Next we need some help with replacing the front crankshaft seal. It is leaking pretty bad when the truck is running. I did a search but can't find a how-to for this and am unfamiliar with the 318.

Thanks again!
You are going to need to pull the water pump, and the timing cover, (the seal is mounted in the timing cover). And of corse, anything mounted in front of those (Damper pully, Alt, A/C comp, PS pump, ect (Most just unbolt, and move out of the way)).

Don't buy just the seal, get the timing cover gasket set, it comes in two forms, one has a sleeve that fits over the balancer seal surface, if its worn out. You may want to pull your balancer first, to determine if you need it, or just pay the extra, and use it if you need it.

This would be a good time to consider replacing the timing chain, and water pump, while you have things apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts