Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 D250 that has developed an electrical issue. It started with a random hick-up here and there. Now the power cuts out frequently (like every 10-15 seconds) while acclerating under load. Never misses a beat at idle. When it cuts out I lose ignition and power to the radio. I've even turned the radio off while driving and after it cuts out the radio turns back on. It only cuts out for about a second and always restarts on its own.

I've shook and wiggled all the wires and connectors under the hood while running and cannot get it to cut out. also swapped out the voltage reg with a good one off the shelf just to see if it made a difference but no change. Also doesn't seem to matter if its a rough road or perfectly smooth, still develops the cutout around 2000 rpm and only while driving.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas where to look? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,339 Posts
Checked battery cables? (both ends?) Check bulkhead connection on the firewire. Jiggle the ignition switch.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
  Ground wire from the intake up to the firewall?  Ignition switch out of adjustment or going bad?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep I cleaned the battery cables and terminals. checked the bulkhead, seems tight and no affect on engine when moving those wires around. I'll check that ground wire at the firewall.

I don't think I'm losing all power, just the ignition and accessories... I'll do some more investigating after work tonight and see if the lights flicker when it cuts out. I'll play with the ignition switch too and see if that does anything, what adjustment is there on the ignition switch?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
If you have a tilt column the actual ignition switch is at the bottom conected by a rod to the keyed switch.  Sometimes they move or go bad.  Looking at or wiggling often don't reveal problems.  Intermittent problems are a pain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did get a chance to mess with it a little bit last night. the only things affected are ignition to the engine and the radio, the headlights don't even flicker or dim at all.

I have a non-tilt column and I jiggled the ignition and couldn't cause the cut out.

I did have to drive it a couple miles for the issue to show up but same as before once I came to a stop it ran like there was nothing wrong. so it does seem to be at least somewhat speed dependent in addition to rpm/load dependent if that makes any sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.