Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have an 84 Prospector. Has been having starting issues for quite some time.  Once started runs like a champ but sometimes I have to turn it over 4-5 times or more before it will get going.  Talked to a big Dodge dude at the local parts store and he pointed me over to the ICM and it sounded legit so I swapped it out.  After I replaced the ICM it fired up on it's first try.  30 min later after turning off to refill the tank no go.  Took 4 tries, 2 laps around the truck cursing it out then a couple more before it would finally get going.  Has a tested good battery, replaced all plugs, wires and distributor and the fuel pump was replaced a year ago in another trouble shooting event. The only thing I can say that I think may be an issue is it has seemed that if no other electronics are on, brakes are not on that it seems to fire easier. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Having a '77, Idon't know many things about the '84 series, but since you wrote that after changing the ICM, it started right up, I would suggest to have a look at how that ICM grounds it's case. I know it helped me and other '77 owners well to have a electrical wire connected directly to the negative post from your battery, and then directly connect it with a toothed washer to the ICM case, making sure it has good ground. same thing if you have a external voltage regulator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.