Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a new distributor in my 84 Ramcharger and now I am having problems finding correct timing. Is it 8 degrees or 10. 318 engine?

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
What matters the most, is the overall advance (both vacuum, and mechanical ) built into the dist. Too much, and you get detonation, too little, and you do not get the best power out of the engine. I doubt the new dist is setup the same as the original, so factory specs is likely meaningless. I would atsrt with the 10, and drive it around, and listen for the pinging (or some call it popping) sings of detonation.

Also, 8 or 10 is not a big enough difference to worry about. 83 was 12B, I do not have 84 handy.

·
Registered
28,586 Posts
timing speal , the absolute best way to time a well used worn engine

too time and engine by EAR [ the best way there is ] without a timing light you need two people [ now known as 1 & 2 ] 2 gets in truck and starts it up , 1 gets in engine bay with Dist wrench , 2 drops it in gear and brings rpm's up about 1800 to 2000 rpm's [ guesstimate ] as 1 turns Dist counter clock wise till it just starts to Ping and back it off a little , tighten Dist , have 2 shut it off and do a restart to see HOW it starts [ if it fires right up NICE your done , if it LABORS [ turns over hard ] and doesn't start good , back the timing off a little [ turn Dist clock wise just a little ] try the restart again , if it fires right up your done

Reactions: jcruse64

·
Registered
378 Posts
timing speal , the absolute best way to time a well used worn engine

too time and engine by EAR [ the best way there is ] without a timing light you need two people [ now known as 1 & 2 ] 2 gets in truck and starts it up , 1 gets in engine bay with Dist wrench , 2 drops it in gear and brings rpm's up about 1800 to 2000 rpm's [ guesstimate ] as 1 turns Dist counter clock wise till it just starts to Ping and back it off a little , tighten Dist , have 2 shut it off and do a restart to see HOW it starts [ if it fires right up NICE your done , if it LABORS [ turns over hard ] and doesn't start good , back the timing off a little [ turn Dist clock wise just a little ] try the restart again , if it fires right up your done
My issue with this is ping. I have never heard ping. I know what it is (predetonation) but have no idea what it sounds like and I likely couldnt hear it over my exhaust anyhow. Any pointers here?

·
Registered
28,586 Posts
believe me , you can have OPEN headers on a Blown 3000 horse hemi on Nitro , and if it Pings your gonna know it

right off the bat the motor loses power and starts knocking like the rods are coming out of the side of the block if you dont back off the throttle [ they are just so you know ] just the 50% loss in power is most peoples clue

·
Registered
378 Posts
believe me , you can have OPEN headers on a Blown 3000 horse hemi on Nitro , and if it Pings your gonna know it

right off the bat the motor loses power and starts knocking like the rods are coming out of the side of the block if you dont back off the throttle [ they are just so you know ] just the 50% loss in power is most peoples clue
Got it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have always thought it sounded like popcorn popping

·
Registered
28,586 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
My issue with this is ping. I have never heard ping. I know what it is (predetonation) but have no idea what it sounds like and I likely couldnt hear it over my exhaust anyhow. Any pointers here?
Put ARCO gas in your truck and go up a steep hill. Back in the day that made my 94 F150's 351 ping like crazy. Shell is the same way. Chevron ONLY!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts