Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a weird one - it just started doing this - when I put my RC in reverse after its running the starter kicks in. it does not do it in drive or neutral or park. just in reverse, when I shift to reverse I can hear the starter. I disconnect the ground from the starter relay and it does not do it. something is putting a hot to starter relay when in reverse. any ideas? I don't think it is the neutral safety switch. maybe its the starter switch on the column? I checked the rod from the ignition key cylinder and its pressed into the switch.
thank you in advance for the help

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I would be looking at the neutral safety switch and it's wiring.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
See what happens if you disconnect the NSS (you need to start the engine first).

Bucky

·
Registered
96 Posts
after you check with the NSS disconnected and it still happens. I would check With the ground disconnected the truck running and shifted in reverse are the reverse lights acting normal? Even without the brake on?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
there are 2 wires on starter , 1 is the battery + cable , the other smaller one is a + positive wire TO the starter's internal solenoid , shorting the 2 together will make it crank , perhaps the trans linkage or throttle pressure rod has become entangled , OR the wires have chafed thru . It could also be in the steering column, chafed wires?. all the nss does is permit proper operation ( in neutral or park ONLY) of the starter , it won't MAKE it crank ) ( oh and its the back up light switch as well ) I vote steering column .

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
The neutral safety switch also connects the circuit for the reverse lamps, so I think it has the potential to make it crank.  There is nothing in the column that controls the reverse lamps, though it could be a harness short that might make contact when the column is shifted into reverse.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok I disconnected the NSS with the truck running and now when I shift it to reverse it does NOT kick the starter in. So does this mean I need a new NSS? I did notice that the pins and plastic center of the NSS seem to be moving inside the unit very easily. Still seems weird to me. The NSS should only have a ground running to it so still not clear how it could fail and cause the condition im seeing.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yeah but now even the key won't crank it .... 18 gauge dark green separate wire on starter relay on fender well
unplug it , put a ground there , it will start with key , BUT in any gear not just p and N . dioad in relay ? 

·
Registered
96 Posts
With the NSS out. Take a multimeter and find the terminals that allows the starter to have ground. Roll it through the positions and see if it still has continuity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.