Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
&*&^*^%*  There are not enough keys on the keyboard to suggest the words bouncing in my head.  My beautiful '84 RC I picked up a few months ago - damn near perfect body, zero rust and only 45K miles, was assaulted today by a little Toyota.  It changed lanes somehow not noticing my big ass right next to it.  Hit my right front just at the bumper at about 40 mph and a 30 degree angle.

Yeah, the 'yota was close to totaled.  I have some minor body damage just in front of the right front wheel and the bumper is bent out at a 90 degree angle at the mount - pointing straight forward like some Mad Max kind of death spike.

So, I need a new bumper.  I can find several decent stock JY bumpers via car-parts.com, but... whats out there in terms of after market bumpers?  This is a mostly pavement pounder, so a fully integrated brush guard/push bar/winch mount may not be appropriate.  But, are there any cool custom front bumpers out there.  Anyone here build them?

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I've made a few but that's sort of on hold a bit. I don't know if Zack is still selling the one I made for him or not. This link was posted in another thread and seems to have unusually reasonable prices for fabricated bumpers compared to the other places out there:

http://www.kenmtnac.com/WiDodpre94.html

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - nice!  That "stage 1" looks close to perfect.. but I've heard a few bad things about Kennesaw Mtn  being able to deliver the stuff ordered.  Maybe that's changed?

You sure you don't want to fab up another one (got any pics?)?  You're close enough I could drive up and bolt it on, rather than trying to ship.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I have no idea about the Kennesaw company. I don't recall seeing their site until it was posted here a few days ago though I know I've heard the name before.

As far as me making another, I don't think it would be anytime soon. The owner of the business has taken a break from it with the birth of his first and I don't known he would open it back up for work to be done. Here's a pic of the bumper we built to Zack's specifications:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like Zack's taste in a front bumper - not too much; understated.  Though, I might have carried the bottom or top tube parallel to the central tube around the bend on the corners, making it dual-tube around the corners.

Still, very nice.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I sent you a pm. Its still for sale seeing as how its gonna be awhile before i can get ahold of a 12 valve to install it on

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Zack - pm'd you back

How's it mount?  To the stock bumper mounts, or directly to the frame with the bumper mounts removed?

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
It mounts directly to the frame. The extension bars of the bumper are heavy 3" Channel that is notched around the front crossmember to slide as far up inside the stock frame as possible and use the factory mounting bolts. It's a very heavy built bumper made to easily withstand the pulling of a winch mounted on the winch plate. Here's a pic or two of it being built on and mocked up on my Ramcharger:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
great website lanty, that gives me hope of finding a better front bumper for my current cheby. could have used one last weekend when i killed bambi with the left front corner of the truck.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump.

I picked up the bumper from Zack today - looks perfect.  I meant to have time to set a spell, maybe even have a beer before having to hit the road again.  But, I wasted 90 minutes following google maps directions before I gave up and followed a hunch.. drove right there.  By then I was so behind schedule I had to grab and go - didn't mean to be rude.

It's an excellent bumper; top notch.  I'm psyched.

Zack, Lanty - I hope neither of you mind too much that parts of it are going to be painted Carolina Blue.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I certainly don't mind as long as you post pics of it when it's done.  ;D  From experience I can say it's a bitch to paint, lol.  I'm glad Zack was able to sell it to someone who can use it.  I felt pretty bad that we didn't get the bumper finished until after life intruded on Zack and he had to get rid of his Ramcharger.  Keep me posted on how it works for you.  {cool}

1 - 11 of 11 Posts