Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure its been asked 100 times but I cant find it with a search. my front wheel bearings are bad and the inner race of the outer bearing is stuck and will not let the rotor assembly slide off. I need some type of puller or something to get the whole thing off. im sure the bearing race is stuck on the shaft. thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
You need to remove the hub and rotor assembly, then press out the studs to separate the rotor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the problem I cannot get the assembly off the axle. The inner race of the outer bearing is stuck on the axle and it is preventing the assembly from coming off. Any suggestions? I soaked it with penetrating oil and let it sit. I have pried and hit the backside with a hammer but its not budging.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Sorry, I was skimming again and saw the part about the rotor not sliding off and thought you wanted to swap rotors.

Usually the race gets stuck because the bearing has spun and galled the race and spindle, welding them together.  I've had decent luck with a metal chisel and knocking the race around enough to break it loose, otherwise you will have to beat on the hub to use it to push the bearing off the spindle.  I've also seen people fab up a bracket to bolt to the wheel studs and attach a slide hammer to make it easier.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The only issue with that style puller is you are going to need some sort of cap that will thread onto the spindle to push against since the end of the spindle is hollow and you can't push against the axle shaft.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dang was hoping to be able to push on the axle. it should bottom out at some point and become solid enough to push against im hoping  ;D I dont think/hope it does not need much help.

·
Administrator
62,304 Posts
Just yank like hell on the hub/rotor. The only thing keeping it on, is the inner seal, once it comes off, the rest will slide over the inner bearing parts. Then a grinder can be carefully used to cut the bearing parts in half, to remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
IF  and I said IF the inner race of the small outer bearing is stuck on the hub , clean it up so you can see like the pix super has posted for ya , NOW if the nut's are off and the race IS stuck , cut the "cage" of the outer bearing anyway you can , remove ALL the rollers , then slide the hub off .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
attached is what im down to. gonna be tough to get down in the hub to do much of anything with the stuck inner race. im going to keep soaking and pushing and pulling on it in hopes of working it loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
cage IS already gone , use a punch /chizle break the lip off inner race in 1 spot , work rollers out 1 at a time . ounce they are all out the assembly should come off , leaving the stuck inner race exposed ..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok its worse than i had hoped for - looks like im going to need a new spindle. anybody have or know where i can get one? right side 4x4 non-cad 84 RC - please and thank you!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Yup, I'd replace that.  Spindle should be the same for both sides, and CAD and non-CAD.  If you get one of the CAD spindles without the needle bearing on the inside you can just install one.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I am hesitant to say for sure because that would rely on the person posting the ad to be 100% accurate, but it does appear to be the correct part based on the description.  Their application only seems to go back to about '91 but in the Mopar Parts Manuals the "Spindle Package" 4219121 is the same from '85-'93, though the early CAD axles showed left and right versions due to the missing spindle bearing on one side.  Later models used the 4219121 spindle for both sides.  But I think a later spindle should work fine, the only real change I am aware of is in '85 and later hubs the hub seal is a larger diameter, but I think the spindle stayed the same.  The earlier part numbers don't match as the early catalogs list the spindle as a single part where the later ones used the 4219121 number which is a kit or assembly.

The only other thing I would add is that I would check here in the classifieds first as I would be hesitant to pay $100 for a used spindle unless I was in a hurry and needed it in a bad way.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
it is very likely you will also need the hub the brake rotor is attached to , along with all new bearings and "wheel' seals .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.