Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,...I'm sure this has been asked before, but here goes.

I'd like to swap my 84 360 with a 2000 Magnum 360. Any tricks or gotcha's I should be aware of before proceeding? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Bill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Couple of key things that anyone would need to know before giving advice would be: are you staying with carb on the Mag 360 and what kinda budget do you have?
 
G

·
Your torque converter and flexplate must be used as a matching pair, meaning, if you use your '84 TC, use the flexplate as well. In 1996, the balance weight was moved to the flexplate, and the 4-bolt pattern was changed. So, basically, use the '84 pair, or the 2000 pair. You can't mix the two pairs.
If you plan on using the serpentine belt, remember that the water pump and fan are driven in the opposite direction of your '84 setup, so you'll have to use 2000-era parts. Your '84 water pump/timing cover will swap out, and then the V-belts and '84 fan and water pump will work.
Do you have a mechanical fuel pump, or electric? Unless you're getting a crate 360 with mechanical pump provisions, you'll need an electric fuel pump. Mallory makes a fine single inlet, dual outlet fuel pressure regulator that works great with the fuel return line. All this assumes you're using a carb. If you're planning on using the Magnum injection, you're best off using the '93-'95 OBDI computer for 360, wiring, and you'll need the higher performance fuel system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scoots said:
Couple of key things that anyone would need to know before giving advice would be: are you staying with carb on the Mag 360 and what kinda budget do you have?
I want to swap out the entire 2000 setup as a whole. ECU, throttle body, serpentine setup, etc. I have a 727 Auto.

My wife has a 2K Durango, and from comparrison, the block seems the same, heater hoses would need a bit of re-routing, It's the electronics that scare me!!
 
G

·
Do yourself a favor and round up the 93-95 wiring harness and computer for your engine but get the stick shift computer for 93-95....no "where's the tranny" computer issues. The OBDII is a major hassle, but do-able if you really want to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Hey check out this website. www.dynateckmotorsports.com

There based in california i believe. I checked on doing something similar and they told me they can integrate the two engine compartment wiring harnesses into one harness. so you don't midify any gauges and in all it would be a custom built plug and play system.. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
cause i hate computers on my truck. if something goes wrong with a carb'd engine, i can tell what it is without a diagnostic machine. plus i like the sound of a 4 barrel opening up. got a dist and orange box from mp and had to rewire some things. had to change the ends on the alternator wires. not too bad though. had to run three wires to the transmission to make it shift. now my speedometer cable is too short. if i knew how to put the guts of the 95's electronic speedo behind the 78's face and get it wired i would do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gen1dak said:
Do yourself a favor and round up the 93-95 wiring harness and computer for your engine but get the stick shift computer for 93-95....no "where's the tranny" computer issues. The OBDII is a major hassle, but do-able if you really want to.
OBDII ? and how much of a hastle? I have a 727 Auto, would the maunual trany computer setup still be the route to go?

Thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
obd2 is a government mandated babysitter on your truck. another reason i won't have a computer on my truck. if you must keep the fi, i have a mopar performance computer i don't need. got it off the 95 parts truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
If you decide to go MPI dont forget you have to replace the tank and inside pump unit or inside unit at the least (which are quite expensive). You will also need to rerun your fuel lines because the old ones wont sustain the high pressure form the EFI pump. You will also need to weld in an O2 bung for your O2 sensor.

Good luck
 
G

·
magnum360 said:
cause i hate computers on my truck. if something goes wrong with a carb'd engine, i can tell what it is without a diagnostic machine. plus i like the sound of a 4 barrel opening up. got a dist and orange box from mp and had to rewire some things. had to change the ends on the alternator wires. not too bad though. had to run three wires to the transmission to make it shift. now my speedometer cable is too short. if i knew how to put the guts of the 95's electronic speedo behind the 78's face and get it wired i would do that.
I hear ya. Would something like this help your speedo issue?
http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm
 
G

·
smokinguitars said:
gen1dak said:
Do yourself a favor and round up the 93-95 wiring harness and computer for your engine but get the stick shift computer for 93-95....no "where's the tranny" computer issues. The OBDII is a major hassle, but do-able if you really want to.
OBDII ? and how much of a hastle? I have a 727 Auto, would the maunual trany computer setup still be the route to go?

Thanks...
OBDII uses a minimum of two O2 sensors, and they also incorporated electronic shifting in the trannies at this point.
Actually, either auto or stick computer would work.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top