Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought an 84 Ramcharger and I drove it 2hrs home after a 20 min test drive and everything seemed OK. It needs carb work or a new carb. I have started at home since a few times but now it won't start at all. It won't even turn over. All I get is a click or kinda a clank rather but not motor turning. I can turn the crankshaft with a socket and wrench so the engine is free. I have put a new starter on it as well. When I turn the key my brake light on the dash lights up whether I have my foot on the brake or not. I don't know if that matters. Tried it in neutral also and the same clank sound even with the new starter. I'm not ruling out a bad starter or if the box because I sell parts and I have seen it before though rare. What could it be? Anything help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shoot probably is carburator, clean it out, if not might be time to rebuild it. Check the spark plugs

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
Shoot probably is carburator, clean it out, if not might be time to rebuild it. Check the spark plugs

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
he has a no-crank problem. Carb and plugs have nothing to do with that. he has a bad/discharged battery (jumping may not be enough), bad cables/connection, or bad starter.

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
1984 starter system / download or print diagrams as they expire

diagrams expired

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
and this is ALL assuming you have a good - battery - terminals - block-frame-starter connections and a good starter , you can bench test the starter with jumper cables

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
your ring gear is "on" the converter , the converter is held to the engine by the flex plate , looking in the starter hole MAY not allow you to see the center of the flex plate where it bolts to engine . try turning the engine back by hand and look for broken / jambed teeth in the ring gear , other wize bench test your new starter , check battery's amperage at starter end of cable . Know that the newer "mini" starters are a direct bolt in replacement for the large older ones from usa.

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
I think my flexplate may have broken. Taking the starter out tomorrow to inspect flexplate
WHY would you think that [ it aint a damned chebby ] besides even if it was broken the starter would still spin and turn the torque converter , your chasing the wrong things

1 - 11 of 11 Posts