Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 84 w100 i ordered a turn signal switch to fix the turn signals,  so my question is does the horn wire run through the signal switch as well? could the turn switch be the cause of the horn problem also?  because the horn will blow anytime you bump the steering wheel or column/shift the gear shifter...btw it has an aftermarket wheel on it and the button cap/contact ring arent the issue

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think on Dodges the horn button (when pressed) completes the GROUND leg of the circuit. If it's blowing due to touching of the shifter/wheel, it due to a short (to ground).

Bucky

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yup it is a ground wire , if it touches any ground horn should blow .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i get all that, what i’m getting at is wether the wire wire for the horn runs through the turn signal switch in the steering column or is there there a clock spring of sorts in the column or what?  because it acts like a broken clock spring (horn blowing and a sound coming from the steering column as you turn the wheel...but i’ll pull the wheel either tonight or tomorrow and check

·
Registered
65 Posts
87_power_ram said:
i get all that, what i'm getting at is wether the wire wire for the horn runs through the turn signal switch in the steering column or is there there a clock spring of sorts in the column or what? because it acts like a broken clock spring (horn blowing and a sound coming from the steering column as you turn the wheel...but i'll pull the wheel either tonight or tomorrow and check
It's been a long time since I worked on the wires in a steering column on these. I'm pretty sure the signal wires are separate from the horn wire. The horn wire goes to a connection under the steering wheel. The turn signal wires slide down the column to a connector at the lower part of the column.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
IIRC the horn wire is black/red , or LT gray . it is part of the horseshoe shaped connector on the lower column . While its not part of the turn signal switch operation its contact brush IS held in place by the same plastic . yes there is a contact on the steering wheel , and a "brush" that rides on it .  the fact that it could be pinched , and grounding ANYWHERE besides where it should means you have to check carefully and find where its "shorting" to ground .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so if you turn the wheel back and forth the horn relay clicks, and the relay is hot to the touch (truck hasn’t been touched in almost 24hrs) and the steering column makes a jingle/rattle sound also while turning the wheel, it has some brand of aftermarket wheel and some brand of cheap dixie horns mounted under the hood

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
found the problem i think, anybody have any suggestions on the best way to fix it? and maybe the proper name for that part?

·
Super Moderator
14,323 Posts
87_power_ram said:
found the problem i think, anybody have any suggestions on the best way to fix it? and maybe the proper name for that part?
Maybe if you described what you actually found is wrong... Generally speaking any solution here will involve taking the horn button or steering wheel off. Start there.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
you need to REmove the wheel adapter , under it should be a "brush" contact . a Y shape "puller" , 3 bolts into adapter , 1 big push bolt onto steering shaft . aftermarket "stuff" ( being "nice" ) problem .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
didn’t have the correct bolts to pull of the adapter last night....but i got it pulled off tonight and apparently that disc under the adapter had came unglued which in turn broke the wire and was allowing the “disc” to touch the contacts on the turn signal/hazard assembly when turning the wheel and the screw for the turn signal lever completely loose and was allowing it to ground and click the horn lever ....tightened up the screw and ordered a new installation/horn kit for the wheel and it’ll be here Tuesday

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
good job , thanks for the follow up . sometimes aftermarket stuff is a problem .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.