Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question. I recently aquired a 83 w150 cause the price was right. It has a 225 slant six in it which has started going down hill in a hurry. I want to put a 360 in it. The truck has a np435 trans that i would like to keep in it. I know that the bell housing will have to be changed. My major question is wether the input shaft to the tranny is the same between the two engines?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
I'm relatively certain that they are, but don't have the books here to confirm that. I've changes the titled of the thread so people will know more what it's asking, and maybe answer up.

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
the tranny is the same / do you have the 360 flywheel because its special to the 360 and you cant use a 318 one

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
preciate the title change.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
what dodgeboys was saying is the bellhousing boltup is the same on the trans, there is a different bell pattern of course but the bell is the same, you can use the 318 bell but will need the 11 inch 360 flywheel if you run the detroit balanced engine, 318s are nuetral balance but there is a template that you can use to machine the 318 to work. it is for the 10.5 inch flywheel but any machinist could work it easily.

jamie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have a bellhousing off a 435 that had a 360 attached.

The major question is wether i want to go to a 360 or a 318. i want to break the 300hp mark while staying under $2500. i can pick up a 360 for $1000 that was built to push just over 300hp then the kid decided that he would use a 440 instead so the motor is sitting in the corner. It comes with everything except a carb and distributor.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
clemet said:
I already have a bellhousing off a 435 that had a 360 attached.

The major question is wether i want to go to a 360 or a 318. i want to break the 300hp mark while staying under $2500. i can pick up a 360 for $1000 that was built to push just over 300hp then the kid decided that he would use a 440 instead so the motor is sitting in the corner. It comes with everything except a carb and distributor.
Nice score! :)

Once again..to far away to pick me up another slant... :(

-SM

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya well it always seems to happen that way. I have parts in South Dakota that i have to go get before i start this little project.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Damn, VA to SD is a pretty long haul... maybe just buy more parts locally, and leave your SD stash until later...?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont know gotta head that way anyhow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts