Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My temp light doesn't go on, the bulb is not burned out. could it be the sending unit or is a wiring issue more likely? I am considering an aftermarket gauge instead, any recommendations on that?

·
Registered
31,035 Posts
ground the wire at the sender to see if the light comes on [ it should ] if not follow the wire back to the engine connector at the back of the right valve cover [ ground it there to check the light ] next is the bulkhead connector [ pin # 18 ] and on to the dash [ you could have a bad voltage limiter ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ground the wire at the sender to see if the light comes on [ it should ] if not follow the wire back to the engine connector at the back of the right valve cover [ ground it there to check the light ] next is the bulkhead connector [ pin # 18 ] and on to the dash [ you could have a bad voltage limiter ]
is it the same location on a slant 6? I grounded he sensor, no light

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,308 Posts
Does the light come on when you turn the key on and then go out?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
there is a reason they are generally referred to as idiot lights. by the time they come on it is generally too late. you can install a factory temp gauge to replace the light. the stock gauge doesn't tell you engine temps but i guess it tells you what is normal where a aftermarket one will tell you what is going on. also if your truck has a oil light you can replace it with a gauge. i did all the same things to my 81. it came with idiot lights and i replaced them with stock gauges. i might have had to replace sensors also but that is not hard.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,308 Posts
Do you have a test light? If so, check for power going to the plug. Get under your dash and find the wires going to the light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts