Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning RCC! I’m converting my 77 d44 hd to a late model knuckle set up for part time and better bearing/hub set up. Seems the only place I can find parts is on eBay...does anyone have the part numbers for the knuckles and applicable parts? I don’t have an FSM to verify I’m buying the right stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Basically most 44 knuckles would work. Exceptions are modern (post 94) Dodge, maybe the Ford 44HD TTB, and Rubicon 44. I think these axles have the BJs too far apart to fit the other 44s.

The old Ford solid axle 44 (Early Bronco, F150) The GM 44 and 10 bolt front, Wagoneer and Dodge (post 81) used the same basic knuckle design, BUT you would need to use the manufacturer specific brake caliper, since the calipers do not swap and the knuckles are designed to accept specific calipers. Don't forget the rotors and the stub shaft.

Probably better to look for a Dana 60.

Ed

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Moparfanatic said:
Ideally just make sure things match brake wise.
You mean keep the calipers you have? Then you want to stick with '80(?)-93 Dodge Dana 44 8-lug outers.

If shopping at wreckers, be careful about throwing the '44HD' nickname around. It could fetch you a bunch of old drum-brake closed-knuckle stuff.... or an aluminum rear diff from a Jeep. ;)

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Half ton is gonna be missing approx 3 wheel studs... ;)

You can search a whole whack of wrecking yards here:
www.car-part.com

Probably search for whole diffs, or bearing hubs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the knuckles, spindles and inner/outer bearings are the same between a ramcharger and a w250 with a gas engine? If that's the case all I would need is applicable brake hardware for a w250 and 8 lug rotors? Apologies for all the questions, i crossed inner and outer wheel bearing part numbers between a 90 rc and 90 w250 via oreillys...while not always right it looked to be the same

DODGEBOYS said:
the parts you want are 1981 to 1993 1/2 ton or light duty 3/4 ton

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
That's a good question. I only have a 5-lug Dodge D44 ('90 RC) for reference.

The rotor diameter changes from 5 to 8 lug. I don't know if the difference is dealt with in the knuckle casting, or the caliper bracket. If its the caliper bracket alone, it may be swappable from your fulltime diff?

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
Does not make sense, but the knuckle is different, the brake adapter is the same.  {noclue} One would think it would be cheaper to make one knuckle, and have a different brake adapter. The one good thing, is you do not need to remove the brake adapter to remove the axle shaft, like you have to on the 1/2 tons.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m just gonna have to source the correct parts instead of mix and match. I’m all about doing it right and safe rather than cobbled up and guessing. But when I do get the correct set up I’ll lay my 1/2 ton ramcharger knuckles and outers out, full time stuff and w250 part time stuff and measure to provide pics and part numbers for reference if anyone is interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.