Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just sold my 1976 Dodge 383 4-Speed stepside for 600 bucks with the plans to turn around and purches this beauty.. :).. After finding this 1980 Dodge 440 4-Speed RC across the state for 1000 Bucks on KSL Classifieds. I had to get my hands on it.. Spoke to the guy, Talked him down to 500 bucks.. Transfered the 500 from my other truck to this one and used the extra 100 to travel across the state to Clearfield Utah to Drag this beast home..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Picture of the RC right after unloading it from the trailer.. Didn't get to bed till 3 a.m. after the late trip to Clearfield, Ut. and back.. Looks like allot of work ahead of me..

Just removed some MASSIVE mud flaps the guy had on it.. Strait to the trash can they go.. ;D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

After a long day of pulling the front axle out of the beast to due to the negative 7 degrees pinion that the Dana 44 Chevy axle that was installed by the past owner..

While removing the axle we found out that none of the front leaf springs were bolted together and that the keepers were completely pried open so the leafs set fell apart after removing the axle..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

What began being a little floorboard issue and maybe a minor structural support re fab is ending up being a very deep Rabbit Hole that just keeps going.. At least this is the worst spot of the whole truck but its going to take some time.. We are working on rebuilding the whole body mount, floor board and currently tracing the cancer between the 2ND and 3rd body mount.. The past owner had 3 inch solid aluminum body lift with no rubber grommets to help denten the body rock to the frame.. The mount that is cut out here was rusted completely out and torn through the floor..

The whole keeps getting bigger and bigger.. If I'm going to do it.. I've gotta do it right..

The cutting continues..

Where do i stop??? lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Pulled the front axle, Checked the gearing which ended up being 410 gears.. and the rear being 373 gears.. HMM.. Did this guy know what he was doing?? ??? Working on getting the green and yellow axle with some 488's installed on the truck.. We will see how the RC will like them.. ;D..

Removed a extra leaf the guy installed and put a little extra arc in the leafs to give it some extra height.. Matched both sides and bolted them together.. Now we wait for ordered parts due to living in a Small town/tomorrow land due to parts stores never having the parts.. but can always order it and it'll be here tomorrow or the day after.. HAHA..

I also found a pretty good parts site which is raybuck.com if anyone have a better site please let me know.. Thanks..

·
Vendor
11,510 Posts
Looks like you have a great project going. From what I've heard raybuck.com is a great place top get body parts from
Thanks for sharing!!!
Jim

·
Registered
423 Posts
Lots of work ahead of you but it looks like a really cool project thats worth the effort.  Love the factory paint, my father had a Macho PW that I can barely remember as a kid. 

·
Premium Member
13,528 Posts
agree - great project {cool} - keep the pics coming

- Sam

·
Registered
263 Posts
really great project :).  again the original paint scheme is classic.  were those chevy dana 44s 8-lug?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are assuming that it's a Chevy 3/4 ton 8 lug axle .. Judging from the negative 7 degree pinion it's probably a Chevy.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
That's about the same shape my '79s body is in  :mad: Really like the Macho paint. Will be watching this build.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm positive it came with a small block but not sure either 318 or a 360.. I'm still learning since I just brought the truck home july 2nd and haven't even processed the title into my name yet.. Haha
As for the 440.. It'll be staying in this RC for awhile.. Ultimately I'd like too see anything Mopar with FI in it but all with time.. As for the paint I've been leaning away from the idea of keeping it but I think the factory paint is growing on me.. If I could find a way to keep it and have it turn out anywhere close to Max's Nacho I would be sold.. As for now I'll worry about the rust..  :-\

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
becdino said:
Oh many keep this tread going Are you going to keep the paint and is it matching numbers 440? Damn I wish i had the space do to this.
All big blocks were actually discontinued in 1978 I just found out..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
sweet deal, even with the rust! My wife is glad I didn't see the ad first. :)
  Wish mine was a 4speed.  Is the rear a Dana 60 or was it a 14 bolt? 
The Chevy D60s in the front are about an inch off in width.  I assume the 44s are as well.  That is one way to see if it is chev.

Good Luck and holler if you ever bring it over to my corner of the state. :)
Ken

·
Registered
962 Posts
dam rust!! i hate the bastard.. lol but u doin good job keep the pix comin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moab4x4 said:
sweet deal, even with the rust! My wife is glad I didn't see the ad first. :)
Wish mine was a 4speed. Is the rear a Dana 60 or was it a 14 bolt?
The Chevy D60s in the front are about an inch off in width. I assume the 44s are as well. That is one way to see if it is chev.

Good Luck and holler if you ever bring it over to my corner of the state. :)
Ken
I'm not sure if the D44 that was in the front was a inch shorter or not.. We pulled it out so quick that we didnt even check that.. Then once we had it out we grabbed the torch and slicked the pumpkin out of it to keep the 410 gears out of it.. ;D Tried keeping the housing by pulling the knuckles off of it but too big of a pain to mess with.. I'm planning teaming up with a couple guys from around here that go to moab yearly and i'd love to see how the 488's im putting in it will perform.. {cool}

Work on the Mammoth has been a little slow waiting on parts and so on but heres a few pics..

I think we have found where the "POP" sound was coming from when I would drive over a bump..

[

Heres some custom made pieces my dad kicked out to replace the stuctual pieces..

heres my dads Very clean RC that hes had for awhile.. Loved driving this thing in High School so I had to get my own.. ;D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Your Dad's RC looks great and with the parts he is making your's should come out as nice!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts