Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a year ago I acquired an '80 d150 adventurer. I've been out of state since and I just got back and started to fall in on fixing some things (needed timed and seems to have a fuel issue). One thing I was aware of before hand was a loose connector pin that would occasionally need to be wiggled in order to start it (viewing from the inside under the dash, it is a thicker solid red wire towards the top left of the firewall connector behind the parking brake pedal).

I made my first timing adjustment which was no more than 5°, went to start the truck, and it cranked for maybe a tenth of a second before everything lost power. That wire hadn't given me any issue in the 10 or so times I'd started it, but in thinking that was the issue, I confirmed the problem wire and made sure everything was tight on both sides of the firewall. On the engine bay side this wire shows 11.3v to 11.5v, and 11.1 to 11.3 on the cab side of that connector (with a fully charged battery showing 12.6v), leading me to believe that this may not have been the issue. When this happened there was no weird noise, smell, or smoke. Just the initial starter noise, then nothing. For the record, the entire truck did lose power, lights and all. The truck is using the electronic ignition system with a ballast resistor, and I can tell that someone has been in this wiring before. My apologies for the book, I'm inexperienced with electrical issues and just not sure where I should start diagnosing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
when you say everything goes out even lights , its a dead giveaway , because the lights have nothing to do with the key . unless the bulkhead connector has failed massively then it's a more basic problem like bat terminals or other batter connectors

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
BigBlockMopar28 said:
Finally got some time today, it ended up being a fusible link. Thanks again
please edit the first post title so it says either "fixed or solved" or it burnt to the ground LOL , thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.