Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to turn my RC over to a body shop for repair and paint.  Prior to that, I would like to chase down the symphony of noises/rattles that are present when driving the truck. A fellow RC enthusiast pointed out that the Tailgate Links on my vehicle did not have nylon washers at the hinge point.  A call to LMC confirmed that the ones they sell do not have a washer/spacer as well.  I tried to find a thin nylon washer that I could cut open and install between the link sections, but the big box stores had nothing appropriate.  Anyone out there come up with something to use in this area.

Also wondering if replacing all the body mount bushings might help quite things down.

I'm trying to get to a nice solid vehicle instead of the bucket of bolts rattling around sound that I currently have.

Mike

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine I did a “sounddeadeningsolutions.com” treatment on my floor, made is massive difference, as far as the tailgate I have no idea. Maybe take a look at a gasket seal around it?
That rubber gasket keeps tension in it to prevent the rattling. If that doesn’t help you could shim it so it closes tighter.

I got a pickup so some other RC guy most likely will cover this better.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
The tailgate straps do not have a bushing.  The majority of the rattles comes from the missing rubber pieces that keep the straps banding around and hold the tailgate tight against the latches.  As far as I know, those pieces are no longer available.  Lubing the hinge points will also help, though you don't want to do that until after paint.  You might also want to look and make sure the hinge points on the tailgate aren't spread, allowing more movement than necessary.  This is usually the cause of that horrid scraping noise as the gate is lowered as the pinch weld on the bottom scrapes against the bed.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Here's what I did with the worn out rubber "strap catches", I went LMC Truck and got some '73- '87 Rubber Bumpers- Upper... #20 on this catalog page... http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=23

I mimicked the size and shape of my old Dodge one by carefully grinding and cutting it to get it real close the original rubber.
Then used a machine screw and nut to attach it. It's been on there for quite a few years now.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Interesting.  I didn't know anyone had made those again.  Yes, that should be the insulators that keep the straps from rattling against the body.  Nice find!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx Guys. 

I had already ordered LMC items 8 & 9, but went off on a wild goose chase to identify a part that I was told went between the tail gate link bars.

I'll install the bumpers and take it out for a spin to see if things have improved.

Mike

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.