121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Lots of work is paying off.
Real nice.
Yes, thanx and loose ends pilling up. Been in the body shop jail a long time. While it was gone I put together a motor and interior, some other goodies. No trans yet but it's all good. Small block was running great when parked, will when fired. Pop the top, drive it for the summer.

Grabbed the side spears to run through my buffer, picked up one of the emblems, dug up this thread:

https://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/removingrepainting-old-fendertailgate-emblems/msg1580007/#msg1580007

I know Testors from model building. When looking for where to buy. Found a couple things that said bought out by Rust Oleum and to be discontinued. Oddly, the stores I found had low inventory. Who says finding parts for old Dodges is hard?

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
The often had conversation around the shop is how to break up the brown. Been thinking of this in a tan maybe:

https://www.graphic-express.com/mopar/dodge/dodge-truck/ramcharger/1977-78-dodge-macho-ramcharger-4x4-truck-stripe-kit.html

Last trip the idea of ghost flames came up and ya know, maybe with a different build and I know exactly what color to use. I've had a couple of those ideas. That lead to ghost mud which oddly got some buy in. Instead of painting flames or other accents in a ghost color, paint mud splashes like it just bounced across a river.

Actually, I've got a great idea but I can't post it here.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
RWG75 said:
The often had conversation around the shop is how to break up the brown. Been thinking of this in a tan maybe:

https://www.graphic-express.com/mopar/dodge/dodge-truck/ramcharger/1977-78-dodge-macho-ramcharger-4x4-truck-stripe-kit.html

Last trip the idea of ghost flames came up and ya know, maybe with a different build and I know exactly what color to use. I've had a couple of those ideas. That lead to ghost mud which oddly got some buy in. Instead of painting flames or other accents in a ghost color, paint mud splashes like it just bounced across a river.

Actually, I've got a great idea but I can't post it here.
Okay. Now you've piqued my curiosity. ;D

·
Registered
336 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Okay. Now you've piqued my curiosity. ;D
I second that.

We wont tell on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
it may be or certainly me but I find that the price is high for for such a simple realization?
And a finish of the "top hand" or "Rod Hall" style with the metal brown it goes well.

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Truth be told I've been saving this for when I get around to getting a shaggin wagon.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
RWG75 said:
Truth be told I've been saving this for when I get around to getting a shaggin wagon.
Ha. That might attract some attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Which means they'll never notice the girl in the back of the truck  ;D

rev A technique is ok, color no.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Heavy metal!
Good job fixing the mess.
Shame on the mess! (boneheadtruckers on ytube)

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Royal Se said:
it may be or certainly me but I find that the price is high for for such a simple realization?
And a finish of the "top hand" or "Rod Hall" style with the metal brown it goes well.
I'm not spending Kurt money but yeah, it adds up.

78 Macho works but I don't want two. Brown one is internet snag.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok, you haven't asked for my opinion on the grill after the polishing work is done but I'll give it freely, just remember you are getting what you paid for.  I done a lot of polishing of aluminum, mainly on motorcycles over the years even did it for a living for a while.  Get the finished look that you want but please do not spray it with clear. 

Aluminum like all metals, except gold, oxidizes and will even continue to oxidize under a clear coat and when it does you can't get to it to touch it up afterwards without stripping the clear coat.  You will have much better results if you seal it with clear paste wax.  When you wax the paint also touch up the polished aluminum and then wax it.  The wax slows the oxidation and also somewhat protects the shine. 

Yeah, you could always just chrome it and while chrome may shine it lacks the soul of polished aluminum.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
CADFather said:
Ok, you haven't asked for my opinion on the grill after the polishing work is done but I'll give it freely, just remember you are getting what you paid for. I done a lot of polishing of aluminum, mainly on motorcycles over the years even did it for a living for a while. Get the finished look that you want but please do not spray it with clear.

Aluminum like all metals, except gold, oxidizes and will even continue to oxidize under a clear coat and when it does you can't get to it to touch it up afterwards without stripping the clear coat. You will have much better results if you seal it with clear paste wax. When you wax the paint also touch up the polished aluminum and then wax it. The wax slows the oxidation and also somewhat protects the shine.

Yeah, you could always just chrome it and while chrome may shine it lacks the soul of polished aluminum.
Good advice from someone who's been there.

·
Registered
52,907 Posts
CADFather said:
Ok, you haven't asked for my opinion on the grill after the polishing work is done but I'll give it freely, just remember you are getting what you paid for. I done a lot of polishing of aluminum, mainly on motorcycles over the years even did it for a living for a while. Get the finished look that you want but please do not spray it with clear.

Aluminum like all metals, except gold, oxidizes and will even continue to oxidize under a clear coat and when it does you can't get to it to touch it up afterwards without stripping the clear coat. You will have much better results if you seal it with clear paste wax. When you wax the paint also touch up the polished aluminum and then wax it. The wax slows the oxidation and also somewhat protects the shine.

{cool} {cool} {cool} {cool}

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
CADFather said:

Aluminum like all metals, except gold, oxidizes and will even continue to oxidize under a clear coat and when it does you can't get to it to touch it up afterwards without stripping the clear coat. You will have much better results if you seal it with clear paste wax. When you wax the paint also touch up the polished aluminum and then wax it. The wax slows the oxidation and also somewhat protects the shine. Yeah, you could always just chrome it and while chrome may shine it lacks the soul of polished aluminum.
I kinda asked when I said I didn't know what to use and since Kurt knows ya. Wait, Kurt knows about shiney metal things? Not surprised on the clear coat note and just to be clear: powder or coat or paint, same result because it's o2? I'm looking for something to seal it because ya know, very soft aluminum and suspect anodizing was picked for a reason. What kinda hardening can I apply between polish and wax?

love yer tag line, used to watch AR.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
RWG75 said:
and since Kurt knows ya. Wait, Kurt knows about shiney metal things?
The comment I made about "someone who's been there". Wasn't about me. I was praising CADFather's excellent advice.
I have no clue about shinny objects on vehicles. ;D
I tend to avoid them. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
RWG75 said:
I kinda asked when I said I didn't know what to use and since Kurt knows ya. Wait, Kurt knows about shiney metal things? Not surprised on the clear coat note and just to be clear: powder or coat or paint, same result because it's o2? I'm looking for something to seal it because ya know, very soft aluminum and suspect anodizing was picked for a reason. What kinda hardening can I apply between polish and wax?

love yer tag line, used to watch AR.
AR does have some good quotes, lol.

If you really want to protect that aluminum from damage about the only horse in town is to have it clear anodized, wax, paint, clear coats won't stop little dings and picks in it, but anodizing will offer a bit of protection. It won't stop you from denting it with a hammer but will help prevent damage from use.

Let me ask this though, what are you going to do when it does get scratched or slightly dented? If it's anodized, you will have to sand through the hardened layer of aluminum and fix the damage OR you could just fix the damage if you don't anodize it. That's another reason I don't really care for chrome on aluminum parts, when you scratch the chrome and you will eventually scratch it, whacha' gon do? Polished aluminum is very forgiving in that regard, js.

P.S. I don't know Kurt, he's on the wrong coast from me. I don't know anyone here at RCC, I'm mostly a lurker, I do love Kurt's truck and yours too for that matter.

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
In one of my grille resto vids I compare my project piece to a never dinged piece on my other truck. It came out of its original box in 95, has been on my truck since, maybe one year not garaged. Also removed when diving under the hood so not scratched, could stand a buff, has a ton of tiny picks from driving 50,000 miles. Recently solved another problem so update to follow.

kinda why I'm looking for something harder. Point taken about repairing a polished piece that is sealed. Cutting through the anodize is effort but small spot repair vs refinish the entire thing. A couple hours vs months but don't think ya can spot anodize? I think I need to go back to my test mule, enlarge that finished section, wax and weather it. Tossing it in the back of the other truck for the winter would have been a good test.

I think Andy might have a thing to say about that. Kurt is an expert at removing shiny metal and is inspirationally meticulous. He knows a lot of people. Where in the east are ya?

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
I don't know the CADFather. But if I did... I'd know who to talk to when it came time to work on aluminum.  ;D

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
the main plow lift cylinders were about 4 inch diameter , chromed rod . They pitted and rusted , then leaked . SOOO they began installing ones that the rod was "black" turns out it was "anodized" Humm . held up about as long as the chrome did , then pitted and rusted real bad ...constant maintenance of the grill , yeah wax it . there's no long term fix unless you go plastic and then replace it every so often .... :(  yuck

·
Registered
31 Posts
RWG75 said:
I think Andy might have a thing to say about that. Kurt is an expert at removing shiny metal and is inspirationally meticulous. He knows a lot of people. Where in the east are ya?
If this question was directed at myself, I'm in the thriving metropolis of Rome, GA, it's not really close to anything of note but we at least have two Walmarts, around here, dems bragging rights.

CAD

121 - 140 of 146 Posts