Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my 79 360 RC today that had been sitting for a couple of months. It idled fine for about 15 minutes and kept running smoothly after the 1st minute or so, then suddenly cut off after the 15 minutes. No sputter or anything. Just was running one second, dead the next. Tried restarting with no luck. Thought it might be flooded, so let it sit for 3 hours. Tried starting again with no luck. Starter turns the engine but no spark. I replaced the ballast resistor and waited another 2 hours. Still no luck. I can smell fuel, so guessing it is flooded again. Does this sound like an ignition coil problem? Or any other suggestions? Battery started getting weak, so I have it on a charger now. I don't mind replacing parts as many are originals and would be averting their future failure, but would like to start doing it in an order so that at least I know what is bad. I rerouted my fuel line away from the engine about 9 months ago to avoid heat causing Vapor lock, so don't think that is the problem. It is in the 70s today, and hood was up. So assuming heat isn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ignition control module is about 10 years old. Original one looked like it had melted when it went bad. Had stuff dripping down from it on the firewall.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Ignition control module is about 10 years old. Original one looked like it had melted when it went bad. Had stuff dripping down from it on the firewall.
Surprised it lasted that long. I would keep that as a suspect. Try cleaning the ground contact and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just noticed this hose coming from carb not connected to anything. Where is it supposed to connect? Could this be the problem, or just an additional issue? I see no where that looks like it would connect.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
On my 77, that is connected to the vacuum advance on the distributor. Center is hooked to the EGR, and the right goes to the charcoal can

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't see a vacuum advance port anywhere to hook that hose to. Would it be on the distributor cap? I had the cap and plug wires replaced about a year ago, but don't recall what the old one looked like. On the carb, the far right connection goes through the firewall into the inside of the dash. The middle port is plugged, and the left port is to the disconnected hose. I've attached photos of the distributor cap, if anyone can help know where the advance vacuum connection would be. I am going to go ahead and replace the ignition coil this weekend, and if I need to get a different distributor cap, please let me know what I should get to hook that hose to, and I will replace/add that as well. Pics of current one are below. Sorry for my ignorance, and all help is appreciated. If you could post pics of your setup for reference, that would help a lot.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Terrestrial plant Close-up

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Twig

Wood Twig Natural material Terrestrial plant Grass

Gas Terrestrial plant Electrical wiring Cable Hose

·
Registered
32,080 Posts
you have got to stop throwing money [ replacing parts ] till you diagnose whats wrong

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did you check the coil by my diagram above , no need to replace if it passes the test
I am going to test it and keep it as a backup if it works. Trying to upgrade the look of my engine bay as I go. People seem really interested in looking at it when I am driving it, so making it look better than just another old truck is a new goal. Plus, I am slowly replacing potential failures because the downtime every couple of months looking for, ordering, and waiting for a replacement part when something fails takes the fun out of driving it. Last couple of years my butthole tightens with stress if I want you drive further than 10 miles from home cause I am worried I am going to get stuck on the side of the road for some stupid old part going out. Pre-emptive car care, I guess is what I call it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I am going to test it and keep it as a backup if it works. Trying to upgrade the look of my engine bay as I go. People seem really interested in looking at it when I am driving it, so making it look better than just another old truck is a new goal. Plus, I am slowly replacing potential failures because the downtime every couple of months looking for, ordering, and waiting for a replacement part when something fails takes the fun out of driving it. Last couple of years my butthole tightens with stress if I want you drive further than 10 miles from home cause I am worried I am going to get stuck on the side of the road for some stupid old part going out. Pre-emptive car care, I guess is what I call it.
That's why I have AAA. $100/yr is worth it! LOL

Reactions: blueduster

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep. I joined Hagerty for roadside assistance, but stranded when you want to drive really sucks. I like to hit the NC mountains in October when the leaves change and to drive to Clemson games with the top down in the Fall, and have missed out on that the last 3 years.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts