Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just gonna start off by saying I'm starting a new thread for this build because I haven't been active at all. I've been extremely busy with school and work but thats all kind of settled down now so now I can post more. So anyways I'm going to school for auto-body and I needed a project that I could restore at school as a learning experience. When I graduated high school my dad gave me a 1979 Ramcharger SE as a graduation present. And after working on it for a while I can definitely tell why he just gave it to me for free which I will explain later. Since I've already made a thread for this one I've gotten quite aways on it so all the progress you'll see is old. Im gonna try to post almost everyday, once a week for sure, just to catch this thread up to where I'm at on it now. Heres some pictures of the day I got it and I'll be sure to be active this time around lol.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting my ramcharger to the college was the first problem I had. The brakes were locked up and the steering gear is shot(which I'm still looking for btw in case anyone knows the part numbers or where would be a good spot to get it from). We managed to free the brakes loose but we had to use a skid loader to get it onto the trailer since I couldn't steer at all. Once I got it there the first thing I did was take the top off. I'm sort of new to ramchargers and I had never seen one in person with the top off so I wanted to do that right away. I had to lay on my back and push with my legs to get the seal to break loose ;D. My top overall was in pretty good shape, no rust but one big dent right above the lift gate and a few little ones across the top. I used a stud gun to pull out all the dents and then put a glaze coat of body filler on it. I took the top home with me because my dad has a small paint booth at home and I didn't want it in my way at the shop. Once I got it home I blocked it out and primed it. Now its sitting in our shed waiting for the rest of the truck to be in primer so I can paint it all at once. My goal is just to have the whole thing in primer by the time I'm done with school because I still have to do all the drivetrain and interior in it. This is going to be a frame off restoration. Granted it probably won't be as nice as some of the other ones out there because this is my first restoration I'm doing by myself and learning as I go. Heres some pictures of the work I did on the top.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KG5JXO said:
looks like fun. You going to keep the trim?
Im keeping all the trim except for the wide pieces that run across the bottom because half of it was missing when I got it and the other half was way too beat up to put back on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I got the top off I started taking apart the interior. The seats were in really good shape but the carpet that was in was like something you'd put in your house and it smelled terrible. After I got the nasty carpet out I found quite a few rust holes in the floor nothing super huge but they still needed to get fixed. I didn't feel like spending the money for buying the patches so I bought a sheet of 18 gauge steel and made all my own patches instead.
 

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top