Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the local A-zone and picked up some 75/90 weight - and the guy said I needed some other fluid to mix in there if it was a limited slip differential - I do not know if it is - do you? Stock 1979 PowerWagon - Auto Transmission - all time 4 wheel drive - what say on the front, back and transfer case - do I need 4 ounces of that other stuff if I drain and replace?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If it's a limited slip you will need a bottle of friction modifier. I get mine form Dodge for free so I am not sure if anyplace else sells it. Pull the cover off and if you see springs in the diff you got a limited slip.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
You can buy limited slip additive at most parts stores. I have a Sure-Grip rear and I use stuff I buy at NAPA.

And as far as the transfer case, if it's a 203, I seem to remember reading here that for gear oil it needs something different...I'm sure someone with a 203 will post it. For some reason I want to say 30 wt, but don't quote me. I'm not sure. I have a 208 and a 241. :)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
NP 203 gets 10w-30 or 10w-40 motor oil I can't remember which for sure. DON'T USE GEAR OIL or ATF!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
for the np203 transfer case, it uses 10w30motor oil. i put some lucas oil additive in mine, but is really not neccessary for you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Some uears ago. amechanic once insisted I use gear oil in my 203. My dumb ass listened. Not long after that I was having the t-case rebuilt.

I have a powertrax rear end. They say to use the lightest weight gear oil available. I have had no problem with that. I think it is about an 80 weight oil.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
10-30 in the tcase, and i put 75-90 in the front and rear of my PW. with the friction modifier... get a case of 10-30.... that way you have enough when you change it next...

·
7,995 Posts
If you seal up the axles and xfer case real good you can use synthetics. 10W-30 in the xfer case and 75-90 in the front and rear...thats what I did.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jack up the rear axle and turn one tire by hand. If the other rear tire rotates the same way, it has a limited slip differential, if it rotates the opposite way, you have an open differential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts