Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've tried searching in forum but did not find what i was looking for. I have acquired a 79 W150 full time 4x4. I have redone the motor but now to the stuff I know nothing about. On the front drivers hub, when I pulled apart, the bearings were dirty, the hub has 2 step up on it and i am told it should not, just 1 shoulder for bearing seal the step down for the bearing. only 1 bearing was pressed on. I've tried finding a new hub but have failed. I have new bearings but afraid hub is wrong. the hub does not look worn as it is perfectly cylindrical . And the bearings that was in, they put the taper in the same direction as this does not seem correct. Anybody have a diagram available, I have failed in finding one for a 79, especially since mine does not have lockouts.

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the assembly diagram! There is no old bearing race left. All has been removed. This is just how it looks after removal. It's almost like it's been milled down some. The outer bearing was still pressed on, but with the smaller diameter at the top,there was a lot of play in the inner bearing obviously. Just doesn't seem right. And of course I cannot find a new one.

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
Whatever it is, that ring needs to come off.

Gas Camera accessory Auto part Circle Metal

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
it's a bearing race an needs to be removed

Gas Composite material Nickel Auto part Cylinder

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is the only part the bearing fits, the top has been milled down. The bearing is loose on the top . I personally cut the bearing off myself last weekend.

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
so looking at your spud shaft a little closer , whats on there is a "speedi sleave" that is deformed and thats the LIP George was see'ing
here is a smooth one

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm with the OP. That hub is junk.
I don't see a bearing race, I don't see a speedi sleeve .

I see that the inner bearing was spun alot on the hub.

Enough that you can see the metal was starting to tear between the bearings.

·
Registered
29,341 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The little mark (cut) that you see in the picture is unfortunately from me trying to carefully (😒) cut the old race off of it. I got into it a bit in that spot. I have searched the web and salvage yards in my area with no luck, I'm currently looking for a sleeve now .

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
Whats this ring? It looks to us like the inside race of the bearing.

Drinkware Light Purple Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm about to just buy different hubs and adapters, or upgrade whole front end. I see why I see older cars at shows without original parts now. I really thought this would be simple project lol.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That ring is definitely not a bearing race, way too thin.

It's not a speedi sleeve, way too thick.

It's a step worn into the hub by a spun bearing, look closely, you can see what appears to be a fillet radius between the steps.

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
That ring is definitely not a bearing race, way too thin.

It's not a speedi sleeve, way too thick.
That was my initial thinking. But nothing else explains the looks

It's a step worn into the hub by a spun bearing, look closely, you can see what appears to be a fillet radius between the steps.
Looks too good to be from a spun bearing. Also looks like two different types of metals.

More pics would be great.

This ring is where it actually steps down. Like it has been milled down, a mechanic I went to says it's worn, but it's just so hard for me to believe that it worn perfectly all around.
Can you post more pics?

I'm about to just buy different hubs and adapters, or upgrade whole front end. I see why I see older cars at shows without original parts now. I really thought this would be simple project lol.
That will take a lot also. the newer style uses a different lug pattern. I would try posting on the wanted section, somebody has to have a hub laying around somewhere.

A machine shop could weld it up, and turn it back to size, but that would likely run way more then you want.

Looksl like it may be enough room for a sleeve. Not the speedi sleeve, but where a machinist turns it down to good metal, then makes a sleeve to press over, and then turns it all to the right size. But still minimum of a few hours work.

Reactions: Tmills47
1 - 20 of 20 Posts