Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm replacing my brake calipers, rotors and wheel bearings on my pw. Thanks to this site it's has gone pretty well. Got the new bearings pressed onto the hub and rotor. Installed the rotor on the truck loosely, reinstalled all of the bearing retainer bolts. The rotor would turn easily by hand. Once I torqued the castle nut to the 100ft lbs the rotor can no longer turns easily. Tried loosening but that didn't change anything.

This happen to anyone else? Is this bad?
Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
did you forget the bearing spacer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the retainer with new seal on the hub. Then pressed on the first bearing, cup, spacer, second cup and second bearing.

Haven't done the drivers side yet. Curious if I'll have the same result.

·
Administrator
60,449 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm replacing my brake calipers, rotors and wheel bearings on my pw. Thanks to this site it's has gone pretty well. Got the new bearings pressed onto the hub and rotor. Installed the rotor on the truck loosely, reinstalled all of the bearing retainer bolts. The rotor would turn easily by hand. Once I torqued the castle nut to the 100ft lbs the rotor can no longer turns easily. Tried loosening but that didn't change anything.

This happen to anyone else? Is this bad?
Thanks!
Dave
Is the other side in the air so the wheel can turn? Or the trans in neutral?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both sides up in air. Tire on other side is removed as well as the hub and rotor. Everything seemed perfect until I tightened the castle nut. Once I tightened it, it became almost impossible to turn the rotor by hand. I began using my breaker bar and socket to rotate the hub. I was hoping it was possible that this happens from time to time and once the truck is driven it loosens back up to where it should be.

I think I'm going to put my hub puller on and pull the hub out a little. See if then it will turn freely. If it does, I will torque down the castle nut and see what happens. I really don't want to completely remove the hub and have to reinstall all of the bearings.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
all l hafta say is something is wrong and it should come back apart

do you have the right bearing set

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update.
So I'm realizing that I'm almost certainly going to have take it all apart. I want to assemble the drivers side first just to see if I get the same result. I'm waiting on the bearings to come in to do that.

This afternoon I used my puller and pulled the rotor/hub out some but did not completely remove. I'm able to spin the rotor by hand with only a little resistance. I slowly tightened the castle nut and as soon as the nut bottomed out the hub locked up.

Could this have anything to do with the way the wheel studs rub on the bearing retainer? I noticed this during assembly and thought it was odd. Perhaps when that castle nut is fully tightened, the friction between the head of the wheel studs and bearing retainer is causing this? I know probably not. Wishful thinking!
Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Administrator
60,449 Posts
That well could be. I would mount a wheel, and tighten the lug nuts to see if the lugs will pull in further.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
the bearing retainer should NEVER hit the studs [ever] you can see in the diagram l posted that the studs aint even close

·
Administrator
60,449 Posts
the bearing retainer should NEVER hit the studs [ever] you can see in the diagram l posted that the studs aint even close
He replaced the rotors. I bet the studs are not seated all the way. Otherwise, he likely has the wrong studs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He replaced the rotors. I bet the studs are not seated all the way. Otherwise, he likely has the wrong studs.
Unbelievable! I was ready to take a torch to the truck;). It was the friggin studs!!!:mad:
The new studs, that were supposed to be for the front axle of a full time 4x4, have heads that are thicker than the old ones. About twice as thick! They were making contact as evidenced by some scuffing on the head of the studs. Anyway, threw the old studs in and we are bolted up and spinning freely!

Still waiting for the other bearing set to arrive so I can take care of the other side. Expecting(hoping) it is going to go much smoother...
Thanks for help everyone!

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts