Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
keeps going out. It is not the bulb. The turn signal switch has now been replaced twice. The last time was yesterday and the light is out tonight. The emergency flashers don't work either this time but I am presuming that this is an installation problem.

The taillights work and the turn signals work. The left rear brake light is all that fails to work other than the flashers.

Help?????

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it is that easy. I was thinking about asking the guys to replace the wire form the turn signal switch to the light. Stuff I would like to do if I did not have a 5 & 7 year old all over me anytime I try to do something. Thanks.

·
7,995 Posts
ducktail said:
I hope it is that easy. I was thinking about asking the guys to replace the wire form the turn signal switch to the light. Stuff I would like to do if I did not have a 5 & 7 year old all over me anytime I try to do something. Thanks.
Well, I can take you through a wiring diagram just as far as you want to go. Let's check the simple stuff first and then we'll get hardcore. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't it pretty much a straight shot from the turn signal switch to the light, perhaps with one connector, or what should be just one connector?

·
7,995 Posts
Probably one connector at the column, firewall connector, and maybe 2 more connectors in the harness to the back end. Also could have a bad pigtail and contacts in the light asm itself. When I get home later tonight I will get the book out and see whats what. Until then you can always try the "wiggle test"...wiggle the crap out of the harnesses...under the hood at the firewall also.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the turn signals work. Front, rear, left and right. And the flashers worked up until the latest turn signal switch replacement.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, it was a loose wire in the steering column for the brake light. It took 3 mechanics to run it down (bunch of Chevrolet people) BUT there is no power going to the flasher switch. This is suppose to be hot all the time. Any clues here? Thanks again.

·
7,995 Posts
Yes...your hazards are powered from a seperate circuit which runs off the battery...look for a single wire connector(in yellow) around the back or near the battery. This circuit I have highlighted likes to corrode and fall apart or the fusible link may be blown. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The flashers now work thank you. BUT the turn signals have a whole new problem. The turn signal arm is so worn that the proper contact is not being made with the turn signal switch. If that does not beat all. The closet new one I can find is on Ohio. A few hours away if Iget on I-77 here in SC.The guy in Ohio is now looking through his boxes of unlabeled parts.

Can someone help me with this turn signal lever for the 79 Dodge WITH cruise? The original part number is 37358 superceded to 4397587. I seem to have lost track of the spare steering column that I had.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BY the way, I linked to the guy at columnsgalore that you (Chummp) posted the address of under tilt column woes. It looks like he may have the answer. I will let you know.

EDIT: Rick at www.columnsgalore.com says that it sounds like both parts of the turn signal switch needed to be replaced and I confirmed this with the mechanic in town. SO the parts are now ordered and I will know next week in time for Hurricane Ivan.

·
7,995 Posts
If you still have problems locating parts, let me know. FYI- The one screw that mounts the turn signal lever to the turn signal switch cam likes to come loose so when you install the new parts be sure and put a drop of Loctite thread sealer on the screw threads...the Blue loctite(#242) works well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The whole truck needs loctite.

I am having trouble finding a turn signal arm with cruise control. The mechanis says the groove in the arm at the turn signal switch is worn to a point that the edges are rounded which is preventing the turn signal to act porperly. The guy at columnsgalore wonders about this and all he has is a standard turn signal arm. Being that I want to fix this once and for all and I am about to reconnect the speedometer and likewise the cruise control, I would like to use a working turn signal arm with cruise control. Maybe you could help me with this, Chump. This vehicle does not have a tilt column, not that it may have even been offered.

·
7,995 Posts
ducktail said:
The flashers now work thank you. BUT the turn signals have a whole new problem. The turn signal arm is so worn that the proper contact is not being made with the turn signal switch. If that does not beat all. The closet new one I can find is on Ohio. A few hours away if Iget on I-77 here in SC.The guy in Ohio is now looking through his boxes of unlabeled parts.

Can someone help me with this turn signal lever for the 79 Dodge WITH cruise? The original part number is 37358 superceded to 4397587. I seem to have lost track of the spare steering column that I had.
Could the part number you have listed above be 4397857? You may have transposed a figure or two?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may have transposed a number or two. That is how our mistakes, as an accoutnant, are explained, except for that Enron thing. At any rate, the guy at www.columnsgalore.com has the parts ordered. He did not need the numbers fortunately. The parts will probably get here Tuesday or Wednesday. This guy acted like this may take care of some dash-bound turn signal indicator problems I have been having also. I just put it down to over 300K miles.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does it seem like a lot of 79 questions are being posted up here right now?

Anyway the parts just came in for a compete turnsignal switch replacement. I kiken this to a heart tran\plant versus the bypasses that have gone on in the past. Hopefilly this will fix a lot of light problems including dash signals and brakes. I'll post up. The people at www.columnsgalore.com have been a big help.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All exterior turn signals and lights now work, except for the ones I disconnected myself. BUT, the interior right turn signal isn't working. I have about given up on this little light and I am thinking about installing some of the old fender mounted turn signals Crysler Corp used to have. Any thoughts on this? And are they easily found?

·
7,995 Posts
Don't give up, as the little light is easy to fix. Just need to check for some voltages and proper connections. This is a wiring diagram from a 77...I will have to find andscan a 79 but they should be very close. you either have a socket,ground,feed wire or printed circuit board problem.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problem comes & goes. It never seems to tie with bulb problems. It has always jsut been one indicator light, never both. Would that give you a clue?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts