Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Gang,

I'm getting closer to ready to roll however I have phantom starting issues. Sometimes she starts just fine other times she's a dead key... 

I've already followed and rewired the suggested Amp meter delete, and replaced most if not all electrical components under the hood, but can't figure out if it's just the 40 year old wires giving me bad connectivity, or what and I'm hoping one of you may have previously chased this ghost, so looking for ideas on where to look so I can make her a DD.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
pull apart the bulk head wiring connect at the firewall check the #5 connection... all of them really as this is the weak point of the wiring they tend to melt at the bulk head... 5 is to battery and #23 is to the alternator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm not sure I fixed her, but put a charge on the Battery to top it off and then added dielectric grease to all connections and she's happier, and seems to start more regularly. I also added a 1.5 W solar charger to the dash, so she'll stay topped up when sitting for any length of time.  I guess the real test will be in the morning before work, she's been temperamental the last few work days not wanting to get up and go that early.

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
If she still doesn't want to play, you might have a look for the electrical switch behind your contact key.
the seem to get forgotten a lot.

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
221 Posts
mine did the same for a while found that heavily cleaning the connector for the neutral safety switch on the starter relay fixed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I replaced the starter relay, I'm thinking I have a draw on the system after the key goes to off. Adding the solar panel on the dash, allows her to start after the sun is up awhile, but overnight the battery is getting sucked down below 12V...

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Livin4Today said:
Well, I replaced the starter relay, I'm thinking I have a draw on the system after the key goes to off. Adding the solar panel on the dash, allows her to start after the sun is up awhile, but overnight the battery is getting sucked down below 12V...
well that's easy enough to figure out. the '79 is a simple vehicle. Disconnect the ground lug at the battery and put a meter in-line. See how much amperage you're drawing. you pull one fuse at a time until you find out what's drawing the current.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ToxicDoc said:
well that's easy enough to figure out. the '79 is a simple vehicle. Disconnect the ground lug at the battery and put a meter in-line. See how much amperage you're drawing. you pull one fuse at a time until you find out what's drawing the current.
I'm starting to believe the problem may be in the starting circuit, maybe a bad ground at the starter. Parked her on the lawn last night and now no start (Damnit! ::) ) It seems fine when running except, when I go to start it's almost like either a dead short or open ground?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Get a multi-meter and a test light then learn how to use them....or spend a bunch of money and time guessing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may not actually be a draw down like I originally thought. It seems after an overnight charge with the battery topped off I still had to get out & open the hood an jiggle all the connections on the 50/60 pin bulkhead, and for good measure all of the connections on the starter relay (those that wiggle)...

What are the chances of finding/acquiring new engine bay connectors to the 50/60 pin bulkhead and starter relay and just rewire them myself? I mean every wire and connector, not to mention the whole bulkhead is nearing 40 years old, and the P's were kind to this rig...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.