Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to save a 79w150 that’s been a plow truck since day1. Ammeter burned so I took the cluster out. There are two white rectangular items soldered to the pcb and Im not sure what they are and whether or not to just replace with aftermarket gauges. None of the gauges except speedometer are working. Truck is a basket case but I cannot help myself and want to restore it. Thanks

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
Welcome to RCC.

Here is two good articles concerning the ammeter.

Post up some pics, then we can identify what you are asking about. I think they are capacitors to cut out radio interference, but it has been awhile since I had a dash apart.

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
I’m trying to save a 79w150 that’s been a plow truck since day1. Ammeter burned so I took the cluster out. There are two white rectangular items soldered to the pcb and Im not sure what they are and whether or not to just replace with aftermarket gauges. None of the gauges except speedometer are working. Truck is a basket case but I cannot help myself and want to restore it. Thanks
With some time, and a little help from here, you can get those stock gauges working again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my plans are to keep it as original possible with the exceptions of items like the ammeter. It’s about as oe as I’ve ever seen right down to the exhaust. Just used hard. It was a mining company truck and plow. Floors are gone and every panel other than the hood is rough.Looks like a complete basket case and my wife just shook her head. My reply “honey I’ve brought worse home over the past 35yrs”. Will be a great winter project and looking forward to it.
318, np435, 203 tc and 8.75 rear

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't think a 79 would have a 8.75 rear, those went away in 74.

I love ammeters, but they need to be reconfigured in most instances.

Bucky

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
if it has the 203 an full-time 4x4 then most definitely it has the 9 1/4

·
Registered
7,433 Posts

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,165 Posts
Also, if it's a 70's Era dash, the prongs to the lights and gauges where the plug goes on in the center at the rear of the dash can sometimes get a cold solder situation and cause something to not work also. It happened in mine where I had to re-solder the terminal post.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts