Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a '78 W300, are the ramcharger parts interchangeable?? It has a 400ci. eng. 4 speed 4X4 dually w/PTO?? . Trying to ID the transfer case..poss. NP205?? the pto has me buggered...I will need an instrument cluster..no gas gage, or lights at all, would like a 4bbl carb/intake...Not a show truck, pretty ugly, no bed at all...just a plow truck...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Should be a fulltime married NP203 transfer case, unless some swapping been going on.
I think W300 back then were cab/chassis or special service beds, no pick-up truck beds.
Is the PTO ran off the tranny or tcase?

Bucky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it was a service bed, I got it from the local fire dept. PTO is off the tcase...What is Fulltime/married?

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
Post up a ton of pics, then we could tell you almost whatever you want to know.

Stock would be a NP435 transmission, and a NP203 transfercase. Fulltime means the power goes to all the wheels all the time. similar to allwheel drive on newer vehicles. Married means the transfer case is mounted to the back of the transmission. the other way is called divorced, where the transfer case is mounted separate, and has a short driveshaft connecting it to the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
Superburb I thought the np445/203 were an exclusive thing?
Not sure what you are asking. The 203 was used by all three major truck makers, so was the 435. The 445 was optional for a few years by both Dodge, and cheby.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I misunderstood some info from someone else...I was thinking the 203 was only ever mated with the 445 in a 70s full time dodge.
I have several of both the 445 and 435 and now I’m curious...gonna need to go check some bolt patterns and shafts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Fulltime means the power goes to all the wheels all the time. similar to allwheel drive on newer vehicles. Married means the transfer case is mounted to the back of the transmission. the other way is called divorced, where the transfer case is mounted separate, and has a short driveshaft connecting it to the transmission.
That's the info I was looking for but was afraid to ask (y)

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
the parts book lists the 205 for heavy duty app's W 200 - 300 -400 and with it being and old fire truck = HD

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
the parts book lists the 205 for heavy duty app's W 200 - 300 -400 and with it being and old fire truck = HD
I believe you will find that the 203 was just for 80 &81.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
If he's lucky he's got the 205... heavy duty!
Was there ever a hook up for PTO on full time transfer cases? Not heavy duty. :)

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
Yes, both have the PTO. By New Process, both were rated the same. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Post up a ton of pics, then we could tell you almost whatever you want to know.

Stock would be a NP435 transmission, and a NP203 transfercase. Fulltime means the power goes to all the wheels all the time. similar to allwheel drive on newer vehicles. Married means the transfer case is mounted to the back of the transmission. the other way is called divorced, where the transfer case is mounted separate, and has a short driveshaft connecting it to the transmission.
Good info! it is married to the tranny. I spoke to the guy I got it from, it was a fire truck. They pulled the bed off, and put it in the back 40 for the last 7 years. As far as the tcase, the pattern on the shifter has "LOW/LOC and HI/LOC, not the normal 2hi, 4hi etc...

·
Registered
875 Posts
You have a married Fulltime NP203

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have seen at least 2 78 fire trucks and neither were 205s, I agree with super that was probably 80-81 when the 203s started going away. The 203 gets a bad rap on the internet but I love mine and wouldnt trade it.

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
I have seen at least 2 78 fire trucks and neither were 205s, I agree with super that was probably 80-81 when the 203s started going away. The 203 gets a bad rap on the internet but I love mine and wouldnt trade it.
Agreed, I have swapped a few 203's into 80's trucks. Getting close to dropping one in my 90.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have never seen a married NP205 in any Dodge before 1980 model, nor any NP203 after 1979. GM offered BOTH during late 70's.

Bucky

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
The 203 gets a bad rap on the internet but I love mine and wouldnt trade it.
The 205 never gets a bad rap... and I'm glad my truck came with one. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts