Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 Ramcharger that I have a 12v p-pump. I’m trying to figure out how to put hydroboost on it. There seems to be. It enough room. I haven’t installed the hydrobooster yet. I’m trying to find the shortest unit I can from firewall to the back of the pump the master cylinder will hit or be very close to hitting the back of the pump. Has anyone on here dealt with this issue? I’d assume someone has dealt with this.

Another little thing I. Going to try and find out is relocating the fuel filter to make room for hydrobooster and such. The only thing I can’t figure out how to do is the return fuel line from the injector rail. It attaches to the top of the fuel filter housing and I still piggy backed with feed from the lift pump. What can I do with this line to tie in and have it go back to the tank? If this makes any sense.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
the shortest unit(s) will be from a Chevy - they don't have the adapter piece in-between the booster and master cylinder like Dodge used.  IIRC I like to use the matching set from an 04 Chevy 2500, and I just make a custom base plate that matches my Dodge firewall(s), but I make whatever mods are required to use the OE booster pedal rod on the Dodge pedal - you don't want to permanently 'alter' the booster in case you need to return it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my 83 crew cab I used a hydrobooster off a 08 Dodge Ram 3500.  Didn’t have to make any special adapter plate and the rod that connects to the brake pedal is almost perfect length. The issue I have with using the p-pump motor is that from the firewall to the back of the injection pump I only have at most 14 inches. Everything I’ve measured is 14.5 inches, I think I can make one of those fit but I’ll have the master cylinder like a 1/4 inch away from th pump. Which is worrisome. Flex of the motor mounts and going over difficult terrain may hit it and possibly break something.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
...could you mount the booster far enough to the drivers side to clear the p-pump...and then weld an extension bracket on the brake pedal to also move the stud the same amount to the drivers side to line up with the booster?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.