Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How strong is the 8.25" rear end on the 78 Ramcharger?
I am putting 33" tires on with a 4" lift. About 320 HP from the engine. The joints on early model Dodges seem to be small.

I do mostly highway driving but like to get on it every once in a while. Does it pay to upgrade to 9.25" or Dana 60 rear end?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Not the strongest rearend but decent. But w/320HP I'd be looking for a 9 1/4 or a Dana 60, preferably a 60

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i guess the obvious question here is, how did oyu get an 8.25 in a 78 ramcharger?

should have had the 9.25, but if it doesnt i would say upgrade now while you can instead of waiting until you will have to

eric

·
2,317 Posts
its probaly a 8 3/8, i have that in my 78 pw. wasnt sure about it till i did some checking on it.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
8 3/8 is the truck nomenclature for the 8 1/4.

its small c clipped design is more suitable for slant 6 and 318 powered CARS.

im not gonna say with 320hp and 33" tires, that you ll launch and axle (that happens with c clip axles) because i dunno how you drive.

with enough traction and torque, it ll break. but i dunno what that torque rating is.

so is it worth the money to upgrade to a 9 1/4? prolly.

the 9 1/4 has stronger axles and such.

unfortunately it too is a c clip axle.

when the axle and/or c clip breaks, the axle and wheel go flying off the vehicle.

10 bolt= 8.25 (truck manuals may refer to 8.375) 10 bolt is also a dana 60
12bolt=9.25
no bolt=8.75 (stout rear thats history is rooted in muscle cars but found its way into early trucks)

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i thought i read somewhere once that they made a full floating 9.25, is this true? and if so how would i go about converting a 9.25 to a full floater?

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
joe swinehart said:
no what you prolly read is the mysterious 8 lug 9.25
is this the same situation as the mysterious dodge corporate 9 5/8 truck axle? have seen pics and several mentions of it, just cannot find a vehicle with it in there.

also, is the 8 lug 9.25 full floating or not? and is there anyway to make a full floater out of a 9.25? have seen this done with samurai and other import rear axles, wouldnt mind doing it to my 9.25 if at all possible

eric

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
ok i saw a 8 lug 9.25 earlier today.

was in a 94-up b series van. it was not full flaoting.

im not aware of a kit to make it full floating.

that would require a new axle and drive flange. instead of having a axle with lugs pressed in, you would now just have a long tube. there would be no integral flange on the end.

instead, there would be a splines on both ends.

then you would have a hub that is splined and thats where the lugs would be located.

i ve seen other more popular axles with this such as the ferd 9"

a ferd axle so equipped is $1000 hub to hub minus center section. thats a lotta $$$
and since there are no kits available for the 9.25 i dunno what you would do short of a dana60

unless you could get a set of those ferd axles to fit inside your dodge axle housing. (would require recut spider gears and such)

all that hassle aint worth it.

a mod i have heard of for the 9.25 is converting the axle to a axle retention system like the 8.75

the 8.75 axle cannot separate from the housing with out unbolting bearing retainer from housing.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
intenseimages said:
i guess the obvious question here is, how did oyu get an 8.25 in a 78 ramcharger?
I had an 8 1/4 in my '84 2WD RC, but I can't say I've seen one in a fullsize 4WD Dodge.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok i guess i should go back to the first post here. is your ramcharger a 2wd? this would probably expalin it, i have never seen a 4wd with a 8.25.

eric

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Full time 4x4, originally 318, 3 spd automatic. I have been told by many that chassis and driveline is all original.
It has the 10 bolt differential cover and 3:55 gearing.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
78-RHINO said:
Full time 4x4, originally 318, 3 spd automatic. I have been told by many that chassis and driveline is all original.
It has the 10 bolt differential cover and 3:55 gearing.
do you want a 9.25? if so how far do you want to drive for one?

i got one at mom and dads i was gonna part out, it is out of an 84 ramcharger with 3.23 gears, if ya want it and want to figure out how to get it let me know.

eric

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I've seen 8 3/8's in late 70's Dodge 4x4 before. They only did it a few years. They are good enough axles. They can handle 33's tires. I know they can handle 320 hp in a car with no problem. I wouldn't be afraid to run 320 hp with 33's. Just keep your eyes open for a 9 1/4. You will not need a new drive shaft with a 9 1/4. The 9 1/4 and 8 1/4(8 3/8) have the same axle shaft centerline to u joint dimension. There never was a full floating 9 1/4 but I have seen 8 lug 9 1/4 axle in a mid 80's van sitting in a junk yard. It had huge axle shafts. Probably bigger then the Dana 60. Chryslers C-clip axles don't have the failure ratings of the GM C-clip axles so I wouldn't worry to much about breaking one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I will be looking for a 9.25" rear-end with 3.73 or 3.91 gearing so not to have any problems down the road.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
if you change the rear gearing dont forget the front or you'll break badly and expexcive

1 - 18 of 18 Posts