Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I originally joined this forum about 10 years ago when I inherited my late father in-laws 1978 W150 Power Wagon. For the past 10 years I've mostly been just using it as a knock around truck/farm truck. Now we are finally getting to work on it since my 15 year old son wants to drive it when he turns 16. It was originally a 318 auto truck. The current plan is to swap in the 12v, 5 speed manual, tcase and D60/70 axles from a wrecked truck 93 SRW one ton truck I bought for the parts. My question(s) right now are mainly around suspension. We'd like for the truck to be on 35s when we are done.

I'm not sure if we should use the one ton springs or the 1/2 ton springs. Or if I should run the 1 ton springs in the front and stick with the 1/2 tons in the back? I'm pretty sure between the cummins and the winch and bumper that are on the truck we will need more than 1/2 ton springs but I'm not sure. The original 78 springs are worn out. If we swap to the one ton springs, I know I'll have to swap the hangars in the rear, but I'm not sure about the front. I haven't checked those yet.

I'd also like to get rid of the 6" lift blocks that are on the back of the wrecked donor truck. If we do a shackle reversal, If I remember correctly I'll get about 4" of lift in the rear, but I'm not sure what spring to run with that combo.

Do you think we should box the front frame? The front frame sections between the two trucks look identical.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Everyone! I originally joined this forum about 10 years ago when I inherited my late father in-laws 1978 W150 Power Wagon. For the past 10 years I've mostly been just using it as a knock around truck/farm truck. Now we are finally getting to work on it since my 15 year old son wants to drive it when he turns 16. It was originally a 318 auto truck. The current plan is to swap in the 12v, 5 speed manual, tcase and D60/70 axles from a wrecked truck 93 SRW one ton truck I bought for the parts. My question(s) right now are mainly around suspension. We'd like for the truck to be on 35s when we are done.

I'm not sure if we should use the one ton springs or the 1/2 ton springs. Or if I should run the 1 ton springs in the front and stick with the 1/2 tons in the back? I'm pretty sure between the cummins and the winch and bumper that are on the truck we will need more than 1/2 ton springs but I'm not sure. The original 78 springs are worn out. If we swap to the one ton springs, I know I'll have to swap the hangars in the rear, but I'm not sure about the front. I haven't checked those yet.

I'd also like to get rid of the 6" lift blocks that are on the back of the wrecked donor truck. If we do a shackle reversal, If I remember correctly I'll get about 4" of lift in the rear, but I'm not sure what spring to run with that combo.

Do you think we should box the front frame? The front frame sections between the two trucks look identical.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.
ok ... when ya have the mill out. YES box in the frame as much as ya can. you will be glad you did. use cross member for the trans from the donor rig too if ya can. on the springs ya can use the 3/4 ton front thay used on the 12V and still have a good ride. guys have used stock rear springs but mite get new ones so it will sit rite. im beting there going to be a bit saggy from age. remember .. the shorter the rig the harder its going to ride. 1 ton springs will kill you in a rig that short..... thats my 2 cents. from a guy that did a P pump swapped 24V auto trans swap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You're talking at least another 600 lbs on the front end over stock. I would have reservations against using half ton springs up front.

I would look into some chevy 3/4 ton 62" springs in the front. From what I read it makes for an improvement in ride quality in our trucks. 'Jungle' fabricates conversion parts for this setup.

The rear's should definitly be as heavy. But I may not neccisarily opt for converting for longer leaf springs.

I run a cummins in a ramcharger, no gussests on the frame. If you can't see the differences between the half ton frame and whatever the cummins originally lived in, I would only add gussets for some peace of mind. But I wouldnt know to tell you where to add some.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,683 Posts
Yes, they are the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts