Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem... The loud humming noise mixed with the vibrations led me to believe this.. I think the pinion bearings are shot on the dodge i just bought. I used to be a ford guy this is my first dodge i have owned and i just bought it so i am just in the process of learning about the mighty dodge.. any info on the rear end would be greatly apprecieated including if it is a dana 60 rear differential on the rear... I do know it is limited slip and has full floating axels. Thank God for anyone with info that can help.
Adam

·
Registered
619 Posts
if its full floating, and its in in a 200, then its definitley a dana 60. it could be a number of things, but as long as you have to cover off to inspect, put some new fluid in it and see if that lessens the prblem or stays the same. if its a limited slip diff. then the clutches inside the mechanism may be worn and malfunctioning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I had the cover off and ring and pinion as well as spider gears looked ok... no metal in it to speak of... replaced the u-joints yesterday, still made the noise... had it up on jack stands and saw the driveline wobbling in the back by where it bolts to the differential... Am gonna pull front pinion bearing tomorrow after work (had a 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 socket but no in between).... on my old ford i could tell almost anything but the dodge is all new to me.... Also is the Dana 60 a good diff?

G

·
A limited slip typically won't make noise until you turn. It could be pinion, carrier or axle bearings making that loud humming noise. Jack it up, remove the axles and spin the wheels, one at a time. That will tell you the condition of the axle bearings. Check for excessive play at the pinion yoke. That will give you a rough idea of the pinion bearing condition. Frankly, on a 26 year old rear axle, it probably needs all new bearings anyway.

·
Registered
780 Posts
rear pinion bearing will make noise on acceleration, front pinion bearing will make noise on deceleration, the case bearings will make noise any time driving, and the right wheel bearing will make noise on left turns and left wheel bearing will make noise on right turns.
If you have to replace bearings inside the differential, its a good idea to replace them all.
C.J.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
And, YES the Dana 60 is a very good differential. Sturdy and plentiful in wrecking yards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.