Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know......sounds stupid but I’m currently in the middle of getting my 77 up and running. I need to drop this “temporary” 360 Magnum motor in and I’m kind of lost on a few things.

Which motor mounts will I need?

I’m planning on a using a 360 that’s coming out of a 79 RC that was originally a 318. The PO said the 360 is currently just sitting on the frame not bolted down so I’m unsure if it’ll have the original mounts.

Once I have the funds, I’ll have the original 440 rebuilt along with the 727 and the NP203 but for now, the 360 and matching 727 will be in its place.

Looking for mounts that will obviously work with the 360 but can be removed later to make room for the 440.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
your dodge small blocks use a metal u shape bracket that bolts directly to the motor . then a replaceable ( any ap store) motor mount which bolts to the trucks frame . because your truck was available with either a big or small block , the trucks frame has provisions for both ( holes)  But know that the 318 used 2 u brackets that were the same , while the 360's are 1/2 inch different in height .  some times those are still ON the used motor , ya hafta look . 

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dodge82273 said:
your dodge small blocks use a metal u shape bracket that bolts directly to the motor . then a replaceable ( any ap store) motor mount which bolts to the trucks frame . because your truck was available with either a big or small block , the trucks frame has provisions for both ( holes) But know that the 318 used 2 u brackets that were the same , while the 360's are 1/2 inch different in height . some times those are still ON the used motor , ya hafta look .
Thank you for the reply. I will take a look and update.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The magnum blocks all use the same mounts.  I don't remember if they are 360 or 318 style but look into that and get the correct mounts. 

Some problems I can think of off the top my head for using a magnum in a carb truck.

You will need to find a carb smallblock distributor.
Carb manifolds for the magnum are limited and don't interchange with LA
Accessory brackets may not work
The exhaust is going to dump in a different location
There is no provision for a mechanical fuel pump on a magnum either.
Probably a few more things

You may find by the time you've gathered all the parts to make the temporary 360 work you'll be into the same amount as rebuilding the 440.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
username408 said:
The magnum blocks all use the same mounts. I don't remember if they are 360 or 318 style but look into that and get the correct mounts.

Some problems I can think of off the top my head for using a magnum in a carb truck.

You will need to find a carb smallblock distributor.
Carb manifolds for the magnum are limited and don't interchange with LA
Accessory brackets may not work
The exhaust is going to dump in a different location
There is no provision for a mechanical fuel pump on a magnum either.
Probably a few more things

You may find by the time you've gathered all the parts to make the temporary 360 work you'll be into the same amount as rebuilding the 440.
Good points. I kind of got lucky with this 360. It's coming with a 79 RC donor that I'm buying. All the accessories including an electric fuel pump are there. Essentially I should just be able to dump it in, plumb everything and go. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
username408 said:
Is it Magnum or LA? If you can get all the stuff it comes with it might run as strong as a 77 440.
The PO said it's a Magnum that's been rebuilt recently, supposed to be making somewhere around 400hp with a Holley 700cfm carb that was also rebuilt. Still waiting on the exact specs on the motor build but he's got to find the sheet.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
IF it was an up and running mag inna '79 then its either got '93 or newer wiring w/pcm OR a carb manifold on it already , and would also work in a 77 ... you'd think ..  ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.