Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got ahold of a 77 Ramcharger 4x4 fulltime 4wheel drive.Im trying to find out some info on the motor whether its a 318 or 360,the valve covers have some info on engine but no definite size.
It looks like a dana 44 in the front and a 12 bolt 9.25 in the rear not sure if thats a 60 or what?I also need to find out the gear ratio since Im going to be running 38in boggers or swampers on it.Any info on this vehicle would be appreciated,It also says powerwagon on the hood but Im assuming it was added?Im new to the dodges so thanks in advance.Gary Williams Houston TX

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The engine ID is cast into the block below the drivers side head. Teh axle is probably a 9.25" but could have been swapped for a 60. What does the diff cover look like? The gear ratio should be an a tag on the rear axle on one of the cover bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
If the tag on the diffs are gone, you can determine your axle ratio by the following:

First check if you have an open or posi-differential:
Block front tires.
Jack both rear tires off ground.
Tranny in neutral.
Turn the drivers side tire forward. If the passenger tire is rotating backward, you have an open diff. If the pass tire is rotating forward (same direction) you have a posi. (You can also do this with the trans in park if you have an auto. The wheels will spin opposite directions if open diff, if you have a posi you probably won't be able to turn the tire)

Determining axle ratio:
Posi Diff:
Make a reference mark on the driveshaft and on one of the tires.
With both rear tires off ground, trans in neutral, turn the tire one full revolution, counting the number of times the driveshaft turned.
# driveshaft turns = gear ratio (e.g. 3-1/2 turns is 3.55:1, almost 4 turns = 3.90:1, just over 4 turns = 4.10:1)

For open Diff:
Make reference mark on driveshaft & tire.
Jack one rear tire off the ground, trans in neutral.
Turn tire TWO full revolutions, number of driveshaft turns = gear ratio.

-SM

·
Registered
603 Posts
This will be your only chance, if you will drive it to SC, I will take the truck off of your hands for no charge. Such an event will be likely to save your marriage or relationship with a girlfriend, unless of course this truck is your girlfriend. My final offer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The 77 might have the 3:55 ratio, mine does, but I also have the 440, don't know if the BB makes a difference..
the front would probably be a D44 open, the rear, if stock, should be a 9 &1/4.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
TXDUCKCUTTER said:
Hey guys I just got ahold of a 77 Ramcharger 4x4 fulltime 4wheel drive.Im trying to find out some info on the motor whether its a 318 or 360,the valve covers have some info on engine but no definite size.
It looks like a dana 44 in the front and a 12 bolt 9.25 in the rear not sure if thats a 60 or what?I also need to find out the gear ratio since Im going to be running 38in boggers or swampers on it.Any info on this vehicle would be appreciated,It also says powerwagon on the hood but Im assuming it was added?Im new to the dodges so thanks in advance.Gary Williams Houston TX
When reffering to the rear axle, there is no need to say it's a 12 bolt 9.25 12 bolt is a Chevy term and has no meaning in the world of Mopar. saying 9.25 is good enough ;D

If the rear axle is a Dana 60, it is most likely to have 8 lugs and full floating axleshafts. Yes I know 5 lug semi floating Dana 60s did exist, but these are very rare. The rear 9.25 in your full time 4x4 has a small five lug pattern which should match the front axle.

The most full proof way to determine axle ratio is to remove the diff cover and count the teeth on the ring and pinion. Divide the number of teeth on the ring by the number of teeth on the pinion. You can also determine a close approx by marking the tire and the driveshaft. Roll the truck so that the tires make one full revolution, and count the number of times the driveshaft rotates.

The Powerwagon emblem was common on many Dodge trucks during the 70s.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts