Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 fulltime dana 44. I also have a 82 front dana 44. The 82 has fulltime flanges. Is it possible to swap the parts from the 82 to the ends of the 77 to get rid of the bad bearing design? Also if I do this is there any other part to swap to keep the 8 lug of the 77?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
redm880 said:
I have a 77 fulltime dana 44. I also have a 82 front dana 44. The 82 has fulltime flanges. Is it possible to swap the parts from the 82 to the ends of the 77 to get rid of the bad bearing design? Also if I do this is there any other part to swap to keep the 8 lug of the 77?

Thanks,
Ben
just out of curiosity, how did you get a full time front end in an 82?

eric

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assumed that it was a fulltime since it did not have selectable hubs and I did not see any of the vacuum system on it. If it is not please steer me in the right direction

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
82 should be a part time unit, even if it just has the big caps that say 4x4 on them.

the full time unit does not have a visible hub per se, it has a big (1 11/16) nut on it in place of the hubs

your 82 most likely has a post 84 non selectable hub on it, that you just shift and go instead of having to lock it in, if this is the case then remember when you shift out of 4wd to back up a bit to totally unlock them.

i see no reason why you couldnt swap this into the 77, however, i dont know of any way to swap this over, keep the 8 lug pattern, and not keep the fultime knuckles off of the 77.

the best advice i could give if you wanted to do this is to find a post 79 3/4 ton, grab everything from the knuckles out and swap them onto your 77 3/4 ton axle or 82 axle, yet keep the non selectable hubs off of the 82.

this should give oyu the 8 bolt pattern and yet still let you keep full time 4wd.

there may be something i am missing here and if so others will jump in to let us know.

eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts