i still am having some problems with the
install could use a pic or drwaing of the left and
right motor mount brackets mine are not fitting correctly

thank you

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Well, here's a drivers side view of a 1983 318, from underneath
(with the exhaust manifold and starter out of the way, and yes, one bolt missing).

Is that any help?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
And the passenger side is not as easy to see, but it's pretty much a mirror image of the drivers side...

·
7,995 Posts
Well, first...do you have the correct rubber mounts? They should look exactly like this...

Here's a copy of pages from the parts book that you can look at. What engine was in there originally...the brackets are different for different engine sizes...the rubber mounts are all the same for those years. Your mounts and brackets will be listed in items 1-8 depending on year and engine size.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
7,995 Posts
On my 440 the R/H bracket mounts in front of the ears and the L/H bracket mounts behind the ears...I can't answer about the 318. According to the diagrams I posted the 318 brackets only appear to have 2 holes in them..one in the front and one in the rear...you say your bracket/s may have more holes than 2? The brackets may be wrong.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes
something is wrong
one has 4 bolt holes one
has 3. i do have a few pics if you would like to see them!

a side note the left rubber mount was installed upside down
the little peg was facing up

·
7,995 Posts
Took a look at those pictures and it looks like the R/H bracket may be homemade? You will definitely need to get with someone with a 318 or someone that has 318 brackets. Lets see if we can get someone else on the board to help.:):)
I'll post in open discussions for some answers.

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
with the space on the drivers side it looks like 440 truck mounts / it hasta be because the motor is sitting way to high

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
hey there i may have a set of brackets for you.

shoot me an email with your addy and if i do i will see about grabbing them this weekend and sending them to you. no charge just pay for shipping. let me know if interested

eric

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just yanked a 318 out of my 85 Ramcharger. The brackets are still on the block and i don't need them. If you want them let me know all you will need to pay is shipping. I also have a spare set of the rubber mounts if you need them too.

Rod

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes i may need brackets someone else offered as well same deal,the thing i am not sure of is according to chumps
parts list it shows the right one 1974-1975 and the
left one 1974-1977 and i dont know how much beyond that goes?

i do think both are factory neither look home made

one is stamped lr on it and that is the one on the right!

i dont think the engine can sit any lower or the fan would hit
the shroud
plese keep info comming
bob

·
7,995 Posts
trkmec said:
yes i may need brackets someone else offered as well same deal,the thing i am not sure of is according to chumps

the shroud
plese keep info comming
bob
Bob, according to my parts book the front crossmember is different on the 74-75 than on the following years. This could explain the difference in the bracket/s. Remember that only one bracket may have been different for 74-75 while the other may not have changed and was the same for 74-77 ;D What you need to do is get the dimensions(inside/outside) off the tabs on the block and talk to the guys who have brackets to give you. This is a cool group of people and very willing to help you out!{cool}

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Chump said:
trkmec said:

the shroud
plese keep info comming
bob
Bob, according to my parts book the front crossmember is different on the 74-75 than on the following years. This could explain the difference in the bracket/s. Remember that only one bracket may have been different for 74-75 while the other may not have changed and was the same for 74-77 ;D What you need to do is get the dimensions(inside/outside) off the tabs on the block and talk to the guys who have brackets to give you. This is a cool group of people and very willing to help you out!{cool}
well i am one of the people that offered them to him, i have them here at the house, i will get them cleaned up and see what numbers i find and let oyu all know

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok one other thing, this 318 i have came out of a 76 and i used the same brackets and bolted it directly into an 84 no need to change brackets at all. dont know if it will matter about the year change or not

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
intenseimages said:
Chump said:
trkmec said:

the shroud
plese keep info comming
bob
well i am one of the people that offered them to him, i have them here at the house, i will get them cleaned up and see what numbers i find and let oyu all know

eric
ok i got them fairly well cleaned off and could find no numbers stamped on them, i do know the driver side is different than the passenger side.

passenger side both sides of it are same size and shape and has one bolt hole in it for motor mount
driver side has one square side and one more triangular shaped side, also has a slot in it for the motor mount bolt instead of a regular bolt hole.

eric

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i think we may be getting closer

so eric if you look at the pics chump posted for me

the 1st pic is that what your left side looks like?

and the lower pic is the same on both sides!

but they both have slots insted of holes

and on the left was triangular shaped side

going to the rear of the truck or front?

bob

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
trkmec said:
well i think we may be getting closer

so eric if you look at the pics chump posted for me

the 1st pic is that what your left side looks like?

and the lower pic is the same on both sides!

but they both have slots insted of holes

and on the left was triangular shaped side

going to the rear of the truck or front?

bob
ok, they both do not have slots, the passenger side has a single 1/2 bolt hole in the middle of it for the motor mount to go in.

as far as the angled side i belive it was aimed towards back of truck but cant remember exactly, i do know that that angled side only has one bolt hole in it as opposed to two bolt holes on the other side.

tell ya what, i already have them packaged, i will send them to oyu, if not the right ones then let me know and i will get the ones off of another engine i have, or i could open the package and get some pics if i have to

eric

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.