Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know the story on this PU. This morning I finally got it to start, but it was making a terrible whirring "I'm dieing" sound. It was also idleing way to high, and the carb couldn't be adjusted to fix it. I layed down on the side of the truck, and reached for the starter with the truck running and making it's sound, and I saw a spark fall from the starter. I couldn't see from where I was if it was actually from the starter, because the dust cover is off and it coulda been from in there, but with all the symptoms pointing to the starter, that's what I'm thinking. I wasn't sure of what I saw, so i waited for another, then shut the truck off quickly. So I'm thinking the starter is staying engaged, but I don't know how to fix it!

Help me please,

derek

·
Registered
123 Posts
Clean the starter out w/ a bunch of non chlorinated break clean, then give it just a touch of WD40 in the bushing areas. The main thing you want to get clean though is in the solenoid area and starter drive (bendix) slider. I bet its all crudded up.

I've had this happen to a starter out in the woods, taken it apart washed it out in a lake,.. reasembled it and it worked fine, much to the amazement of everyone around me. There isnt really much in them to go bad, they just get dirty

other things to check over
all the teeth on the fly wheel ok
is the starter tight and properly shimmed
is the fly wheel tight and straight
is your ignition key switch asembly sticking in the start position, or springing back like it's supposed to ?

And, are the battery cables etc. all in good shape, ie bat+ not shorting to the solenoid trigger either along the wire or at the post.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the bottom bolt of the starter is stripped out... does that count?

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today I'll go buy a longer bolt and put a nut on the other end. Like I said, the bottom one just turns in the hole, so the starter is essentially hanging from the top bolt and aligned by the bottom. Spose that could have anything to do with it?

derek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts