Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall i have a75 power wagon w100 i put new hub berrings on the driver side thinking it was bad i have the hub nut tightend down all the way and it still is loose like it has a bad berring any ideas

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
your sure your putting it together correctly , it should have an INNER nut a large LOCK washer and then and outer nut

NOTE , if not put together correctly you ruin the locating pin that locks the nuts and they loosen up within a few feet of driving , also bo sure you have the correct bearings installed

Reactions: devildodge

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
by the way howdy and welcome

·
Registered
156 Posts
your sure your putting it together correctly , it should have an INNER nut a large LOCK washer and then and outer nut

NOTE , if not put together correctly you ruin the locating pin that locks the nuts and they loosen up within a few feet of driving , also bo sure you have the correct bearings installed

View attachment 618063
Isnt a 75 a full time front axle on the 1/2 tons? Do they use the same setup like this?

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
170 Posts
Isnt a 75 a full time front axle on the 1/2 tons? Do they use the same setup like this?
they are and if its stock they don't. if it is the stock setup once its together with good bearings and still loose the knuckle or hub is likely bad. figure out which one then repair with either sleeves or spray weld and machining or just replace it.

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
ONLY Ramchargers and Traildusters got the full-time in 1974 , the trucks didnt get it till 1976 or 77 , but it also depends on HOW it was ordered and if its been swapped over in the last 50 years

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
170 Posts
ONLY Ramchargers and Traildusters got the full-time in 1974 , the trucks didnt get it till 1976 or 77 , but it also depends on HOW it was ordered and if its been swapped over in the last 50 years
trucks got it in 75. mine was the first year though my understanding was you couldn't order one without it unless you went 2wd.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
trucks got it in 75. mine was the first year though my understanding was you couldn't order one without it unless you went 2wd.
Yep. '74 was the last year with part time and the 205 transfer case. I was there.
And I'm glad my truck came that way.

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
well here is a diagram of the bearing cut away as it should look assembled

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
One thing wrong with that pic, is the spacer for the bearings is on the outside of the hub bore, not next the the axle stub. Not a big deal, but could be important when looking at the bearings.

·
Registered
875 Posts
How are you checking it? If your pushing the top of the tire in are you sure its not the upper ball joint. I have seen people get play there like a bearing, but it is indeed the upper ball joint

Reactions: 1778ppr

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Trucks got the NP203 in 1975. It was the only transfer case Dodge offered in from 1975-1979, except for the W600 which used divorced Rockwell T223.

Bucky

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
One thing wrong with that pic, is the spacer for the bearings is on the outside of the hub bore, not next the the axle stub. Not a big deal, but could be important when looking at the bearings.

View attachment 618079
George , you missed it , my diagram shows a ONE piece bearing shell with NO spacer , look closer

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
George , you missed it , my diagram shows a ONE piece bearing shell with NO spacer , look closer
1. Never seen such a critter.
2. it will never work having a one piece roller side. A 1 piece race would work, or even both sections as a 1 piece.

In the fixed pic, follow the blue arrows, you can see that tightning the big ass nut, will push in on both roller bearings, which push in on the races, which are held apart by the spacer.

On the wrong diagram, tightening the big ass nut, will push in on the "One piece roller", and then tighten up. There is nothing holding the races, they would be free to float around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts