Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! 
I've been lurking on and off, and this is my first post!  Thank you for being here!

So I bought this truck over the winter and have been working on it as weather permits...
Now I'm moving onto the rear brakes...it's gonna clean up real nice, but all (3) cables are beyond repair, and I'm not having any luck finding replacements. 

Can stock replacements be found?  Or would I be better off converting to the post 1980? style where they run down the drivers side, instead of up the middle?  I don't know if the backing plates, linkage, etc would even accept cables from a later model...

I appreciate any help or advice you can offer

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
I have been looking at every source I can think of to see how the parking brake cable hooks to the rear drums. I cannot even find a pic of how the PB cable hooks to the parking brake lever. That, and the connection at the backing plate are the big unknowns as to whether you can make the later cables work.

If you can make them fit, I would go with the later style. I bet the front end of the front cable will easly mate to your pedal. Then you need the bracket for the other end on the frame, that could be made easily if needed. As well as the bracket for the front end of the rear cables. That leaves the equalizer, which should be easy to find one that will work at a junk yard. And the intermediate cable can either purchase, or made out of steel rod, or all thread. The biggest unknown, is if the newer cables will mate to your drums, or can you just swap the backing plates to the later style.

If you have it apart, and can get some pics, post up what you can, and we might be able to see if the newer stuff will work or not.

My 75 was converted by the PO, to 8 lug, by swapping the axles. Taking a look, it looks like they used the existing pedal, but swapped the cables, and brackets from the 77 parts truck they used.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply SuperBurban! 

I did find the front cable @ Autozone, so I ordered that.  I found no cables listed for even the newer models, so thats a bust.  I got to lookin at my 87's backing plates, as well as a dana70 I have laying around....the hole in the backing plate is the same on all my axles.  so that part should work.  My factory manual for the 87w250 shows that the linkage assemblies (springs, cables, etc) appear identical to my w200! 
so newer cables should work....

The dana 70 i have (it's junk) still has cables on it, and they move freely enough.  So, I'm going to rob those, and route them up the drivers side, fabbing what I need to, to get it done. 

Why in the flying tarnation would an aftermarket part manufacturer remake the front cable, but not bother with making rear cables for any of them? 

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
The parts business is just crazy. I thought I somewhat understood it, but the last ten years it has gotten worse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally stripped down the dana70 I have....the Pbrake cables do in fact work on the 75. 
Now I can haul the 70 off for scrap!  yay less yard art! 

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
75whiskey200 said:
Now I can haul the 70 off for scrap! yay less yard art!
:eek: What! say it aint so!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SuperBurban said:
:eek: What! say it aint so!
yeah, it's a bummer, but it's junk. it's for a dually, and everything about it is hammered. it was abused, with no maintenance ever, i dont think. and then it sat in the weather with no diff cover :'(
When I bought the dana 60 front for my 87, the guy made me take it too (I got a good deal, the front was better, but still needed a total overhaul. :D)

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
I suppose you live on the wrong side of the state. If it has the hubs, I'd give you $20 or so for it. Would make a good trailer axle. Just grease the bearings, instead of the oil bath.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.