Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 74 RC with a 318 and i need help with it please.

i have to have a hot wire going from the battery to the coil, and then hold the key for everything to work, but as soon as i let go of the key everything but the engine stops working. if i remove the jumper it dies and nothing works at all.

im trying to figure out why i have to have a jumper to make it run and have everything to work?

thanks
Jeremy

·
7,250 Posts
Check your fusible links, they are on the drivers side fender. You will see a large rubber block with one wire in and about 4-5 wires out. Run your fingers along each one of the out wires, look at them as well. If you come to a soft or stretchy spot, one that is "scorched" or one that is burned in two, replace it. You can get fusible links at any parts store.

Chris

605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright ill check that.

just to let everyone know, the alternator charging wire that goes to the bulkhead connector caught on fire, under the dash and i rewired the alternator and it charges fine

·
7,250 Posts
That is a common problem with 70's mopar trucks. Glad you got it bypassed ok.

Chris

605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright sicene the charging wire caught on fire, i have lost all power with the key. i have to have a jumper from the battery to the coil, ran just fine with it, but when i parked it for the night, its acting like it has no spark... i replaced the coil and still same thing, cap and rotor needed it. i need help to get this thing running..

to let everyone know the truck has been rewired by a preivous owner and no longer has fusiable links in the wiring.

tia
Jeremy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts