Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 74s I've seen have the same dash line as on the right.  The left part of the dash is contoured - is that a normal dash?

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
Agreed, you have the 74 dash surround, and a later (76 to 80 IIRC) glove box lid.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
A simple search online reveals the dashes were switched over in 75. You have a 74 (or earlier) dash cap with a 75 (or later) glove box lid.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
For the longest time I never knew the '70s dashes changed.  I have owned several '70s era Dodge trucks but only really drove my '74s, the rest I never spent much time with.  Full time 4WD and all.  ;D

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
Elwenil said:
For the longest time I never knew the '70s dashes changed. I have owned several '70s era Dodge trucks but only really drove my '74s, the rest I never spent much time with. Full time 4WD and all. ;D
I knew the dash insert changed, and later ones were simpler for changing the radio, but was a long time until I realized that the dash pad, and glove box changed. And my first two trucks were a 73, and a 76, and owned both at the same time for about a year.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RCCADMAN said:
A simple search online reveals the dashes were switched over in 75. You have a 74 (or earlier) dash cap with a 75 (or later) glove box lid.
Sorry...someone I know (hehe) has a 74 that he bought brand new and I recalled seeing several pics of it with the same dash as my 76-77-78-79 and 80 trucks and figured they were the same from 72-80. I was wondering if this was maybe a "trim" like adventurer or such (or something before 72 or other mopar)...guess I need to find matching surround/glovebox. #momoney

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Elwenil said:
For the longest time I never knew the '70s dashes changed. I have owned several '70s era Dodge trucks but only really drove my '74s, the rest I never spent much time with. Full time 4WD and all. ;D
{agree}

Didn't know this either, but with only owning 3 trucks and scouring junkyards for parts, I never realized the lids and surrounds changed. The things you learn...

Neil

·
Registered
697 Posts
Somewhere in his build thread, Kurt talks about changing his OEM 74 dash/glove box to the 75-80 style; he also changed the nose of his truck.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
fenrir said:
Sorry...someone I know (hehe) has a 74 that he bought brand new and I recalled seeing several pics of it with the same dash as my 76-77-78-79 and 80 trucks and figured they were the same from 72-80. I was wondering if this was maybe a "trim" like adventurer or such (or something before 72 or other mopar)...guess I need to find matching surround/glovebox. #momoney
Interesting. I have a 74 RC SE and a 78 TD Sport. The RC matches his dash pad and my TD matches his glove box. All the 72-74 RC's and trucks I brought up online matched his dash pad, and all the 75 plus RC's and trucks matched his glove box lid.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jcruse64 said:
Somewhere in his build thread, Kurt talks about changing his OEM 74 dash/glove box to the 75-80 style; he also changed the nose of his truck.
I remember him talking about going with a 77-78 style grill (assumed valence as well) - didn't recall him saying he did the dash but I could have missed it - read all 35 pages in like one night. I'd be interested to hear where he came up with those gauges because all but 2 look OEM (think it's the stoichiometric gauge, whichever is on the right, and the RPM gauge on the steering wheel). He's probably too busy on his son's power wagon to get on here. I'd be pretty motivated to get it done, too, if I knew I could move onto his next project as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.