Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a 1974 'Cuda with the HP 360. By general agreement, the stock exhaust manifolds on the 'Cuda are junk. We have heard that the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds on some later models of Dodge Dakota will fit the 74 Cuda. The reasoning behind considering a switch is that the Dakota manifolds are less restrictive, and also they dump at the back nearest the firewall at an angle so that allows for more clearance for the starter on the Cuda, and more room in general.

Do both sizes of V8 Dakota engines carry the same exhaust manifolds?

Not interested in headers, so don't mention them.

Thanks for the info on the above.

Mac

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I would like to see a '76 Cuda. Cuda's were made from 64-74. If its a 64-69 the manifolds may not fit as they have super tight engine bays. Otherwise the manifolds off a Ram or Dakota could be made to work. They have to be off a 5.2 or 5.9 engine.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mistake, it is a 74. I'm so used to talking about my 76 RC that I transposed numbers.

We can forget the 64-69 part of your post.

By "made to work" do you mean that the manifold will line up with the bolt pattern on the 74 Cuda and fit?

Almost anything can be made to work but my understanding was that this would be basically a bolt on, then modifying the existing pipes to mate up with the manifold.

Were there any other size V8's that came stock with Dakotas besides 5.2 and 5.9?

Mac

chrysler300le said:
I would like to see a '76 Cuda. Cuda's were made from 64-74. If its a 64-69 the manifolds may not fit as they have super tight engine bays. Otherwise the manifolds off a Ram or Dakota could be made to work. They have to be off a 5.2 or 5.9 engine.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cprrected my error. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mac

chrysler300le said:

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
they will bolt up to the engine and thats it. More then likely the pipes would have to be modified to fit. its worth 10 hp or so over stock manifolds

·
Registered
931 Posts
Same for 5.2 or 5.9, same heads even. They do bolt up, with maybe some gasket match trimming on the manifolds to do, and probably not even that. You want the 92-93 exhaust manifolds, as they have the larger internal diameter outlet. the passenger side one will have a hole to plug that was used for air injection or something, but that is an easy fix. put on a mini-starter at the same time, I think a full size one will cause some grief. You will love the mini-starter, it starts my 79 Volare 318-4BBL chick magnet almost instantly. I think the Dakota Y pipe (must be same year as manifolds) is your best choice, and you can add an O2 sensor to the existing bung for an air/fuel ratio meter if you want, or just plug the hole.
You will probably need to replace your tranny dip stick tube with one from a Magnum engine/trans combo. Column shift automatic linkages may present a problem as well.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info, this is what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Mac

Bill55AZ said:
Same for 5.2 or 5.9, same heads even. They do bolt up, with maybe some gasket match trimming on the manifolds to do, and probably not even that. You want the 92-93 exhaust manifolds, as they have the larger internal diameter outlet. the passenger side one will have a hole to plug that was used for air injection or something, but that is an easy fix. put on a mini-starter at the same time, I think a full size one will cause some grief. You will love the mini-starter, it starts my 79 Volare 318-4BBL chick magnet almost instantly. I think the Dakota Y pipe (must be same year as manifolds) is your best choice, and you can add an O2 sensor to the existing bung for an air/fuel ratio meter if you want, or just plug the hole.
You will probably need to replace your tranny dip stick tube with one from a Magnum engine/trans combo. Column shift automatic linkages may present a problem as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts