Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was rewiring my alternator and now I can't seam to get the charging system to work. It's a two wire system.

The green wire is attached to the top feild on the alternator.
The other lower feild is hooked to a power wire and is tied to the center post on the external voltage regulator.

Then I have a heavy gauge battery wire that runs to the starter relay.

What else am I missing.

I looked that the wiring diagram on line but after 40 years of backyard hands it's hard to trace all the wires out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
there's 2 field wires, and 1 battery wire . battery (heavy wire ) goes to 12 volt battery positive "HOT" all the time , 1 field goes to regulator plug  ( "controlled" amount of ground ) the other field wire goes to keyed 12v power +  .

regulator MUST be grounded ( bolted on ) as it controlls the amount of 12v NEGITIVE the field gets . 

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya that is what I have and it won't charge.

When dose the regulator tell the alternator to charge or is it on all the time.

I'll take pictures tonight.

Even if I check the voltage at the alternator it only reads the same as the battery

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
O.K. with key "ON" ,  test for 12 positive at 1 of the field wires, hook that wire to either spade on alternator field , run a temporary GROUND wire to the other alt field terminal . with motor running your altertnator should try to double that 12 volts or try for 24 volts ... THIS is a TEST only , called full fielding the alternator , Do Not leave it that way , or run it for too  long , it overloads both alt and battery. if that works alt is good , check the wires to/from regulator , and or replace regulator .  key power to reg , key power from reg to alt, controlled amount of battery NEGATIVE ( ground) from reg to alt ... 

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I just full feild the alternator. And at the battery it was at 13.60 and very slowly climbing up. I shut it off at 13.66.
I'm guessing that means it's a bad alternator.

It's that correct?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or did I fix it and now it's working properly.

So this is how I have it wired.

I have a ground ( black wire ) to the upper feild.

A green wire and red 12 volt to the bottom feild.

Then a power cable to the starter relay.

The green wire goes to the voltage regulator on the outside pin.

The red 12 volt wire is on the center pin on the voltage regulator.

Is this correct on hook up or is it trying to full feild and it just can't.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truth is u can't tell if it's charging. With the lights on and the electric fan and electrical fuel pump and heater. It drops below 11.97.

The voltage regulator only allows what 12.25 volts to pass threw.

Or is it supposed to be at the 14.1 like newer cars.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
what is the yellow wire on the out put stud with the red wire ?

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
Zerokool said:
Ya that is what I have and it won't charge.

When dose the regulator tell the alternator to charge or is it on all the time.

I'll take pictures tonight.

Even if I check the voltage at the alternator it only reads the same as the battery
Regulator uses a "sensing" wire. That's the switched power that feeds into it then continues to the alternator field. That goes through the alternator's field wires (to turn on the charging magnet) and goes back the regulator to be grounded. The regulator measures the voltage of the sensing wire and turns the ground on/off to continuously turn the alternator "on" or "off" depending on how much current is needed.

If your system is working, voltage at the battery with the engine running should be between 13.5 to about 14.5. Less than 13.5 means it isn't charging at all.

So I would think your regulator is bad unless you somehow miswired something.

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
The diagram is a bit simplistic, but it gives the general idea. The blue is the switched 12 volts. the red is the large wire directly to/from the battery

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
Zerokool said:
Ok so the blue wire is my red wire.

Any pics of the back of the alternator and where it hooks up to the feild, or does it not matter
likely. they've used blue or red during different times. the color, of course, doesn't matter as long as the correct places get wired to each other.

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
From the back of the alternator, you should have one big wire going to the battery (unless you're still using the ammeter, then it goes through the main dash harness but still ends up at the battery), and 2 smaller field wires going to the regulator.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
and , no, it doesn't matter which field terminals the 2 field wires go to .  your pix shows 2 wires on the large post /terminal  , there is usually only the battery /heavy wire there .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I looked and the amp gauge isn't hooked up.

I have one heavy battery wire wrapped in black on the battery post on the alternator.

I have two feild wires. One red and one yellow.

And one ground wire black that is tired right to the battery.

Can I just tie the two feild wires together and put a ground to the other feild?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.