Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm wanting to remove the NP205 TC on my 73 Power Wagon so I can replace some leaky seals and clean it up.

I'm having an issue removing the two bolts that secure the TC from the top on the driver side. It's hard to see or get to but it appears there some kind of cap or lock on the bolt head that cover part of the head and at least to this point I can't get a good grip with a wrench on either of the bolts. I've never seen this type of cap on top on top of a bolt before and it appears the cap has a base that sits under the bolt head.

Anyone with familiar with these? If I can't get the bolts off my other option is to remove the rivets for the crossmember and get it down that way, which I'm not crazy about doing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
676 Posts
It's REALLY tight in there, but you should be able to get those out. I've taken mine out twice now; once to swap to another 205, and once to change out those worn rubber bushings. I had a cheap HF tranny jack to help, both times, as I have no lift in my shop. It's not a lot of fun, to be honest, but I did not touch the crossmember. There IS a small plate on that side, bit the bolt heads should be on top of the plate. I could only use a wrench on those 2 bolts, just not enough clearance for any ratchet/socket combo I have. And it's also a bear to get all that back together, on that side, because of the tight clearances. Would be so easy without the body on, lol.

While you're going this far, I HIGHLY recommend you get a new bushing set for the TC mount points. Based on Kurt's recommendation from his truck thread, I got the poly ones, from Amazon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the diagrams... I was able to get a pic of them and that’s exactly what I have.

Welp... that will be fun to mess with

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Your pulling the transfer case to change the seals.
That's a lot of work for something you can do with the case in place.
Or am I missing something? ;D
I hate leaving greasy/dirty parts on a vehicle. Figured taking it down would allow me to clean it up well. After thinking about it more just going to change the seals while still in the truck.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I pressure washed mine in the truck!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
northcoastmopar said:
I hate leaving greasy/dirty parts on a vehicle. Figured taking it down would allow me to clean it up well. After thinking about it more just going to change the seals while still in the truck.
I like things clean too!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
yes, you can see that at your 205! Like New!
Whenever I work on something... I make sure it's cleaned up when it goes back in place.
The anal retentiveness coming out of me. :giggle:
That, and my parents taught me to take care of my things because "We're only buying it once!"
Yes. I've been damaged for life.
But I still have my truck I bought new. My Schwinn Sting Ray that my parents bought me in '64. And the same wife for coming up on 45 years. :)

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
380 Posts
Well, if she looks in the same way your TC does! you have a mighty nice wife too! :giggle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts