Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question on part numbers, are they all the same or is there more than 1 727 to 208 output shaft? Also other than a boneyard where could I obtain one?
The reason I ask is because all the big block 727s I have acces to are from cars or 2wd trucks and I would like to keep the vehicle up till I have everything ready to go, so I can't rob the old one.
Thanks a lot

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Short answer is yes, all 727 208 outputs are the same. The only (married) 4wd outputs used in 727s is the longer 23 spline 203 output, and the shorter 23 spline used in 208s, 205s, and 241s. Also, if the 727 was ever used in a 4wd Cummins, it might have been 29 spline, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanks
Anyone have an idea of where I could get one beyond a boneyard, as I have already checked in my area and can't find any 4wd dodges.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Here is side by side of 203 and 208 output shafts, the nearer shorter shaft is for cast iron 203 extension, longer one is for the aluminum extension 208, married 205, any of the round pattern tcs. All 727s (this includes 518s and the other O/D variations) for married transfer cases share a 23 spline output that's just shy of inch and a quarter, actually measures about 1.225".
http://www.pbase.com/image/25970015
People have used the 203 shaft in an aluminum extension, but it's over an inch shorter and there is very little spline engagment.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just remembered, to further complicate things, the outputs had a major change for the 90 MY, they no longer have a built on pilot that goes into the input shaft. The newer design uses a pressed in pilot like the 904s, so you can't mix later O/P shafts with earlier input shafts and vise versa, Then there was a spline change in 94 where the front plannetary carrier splines to the output shaft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry, might just be me , but is seems as though we are getting some conflicting info here. thanks for the help
Is there anyone that produces new shafts?

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Whoops, txs got it right, I'm backwards, the 203's use the shorter shaft. Brain fart. ;D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Does this hold true for the manual 4speed transmissions also?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts