Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent purchase (`77 360/727 71K miles) is finally up and running decently. Taking it around the block tonight had a problem show itself.

Anyway, when I bought the truck, both motor mounts were shot, the engine had rotated slightly letting the kickdown get free (it was also disconnected from the trans). I fixed the motor mounts, reconnected the brackets for the kickdown, got rid of the evil 2bbl in favor of a new Edelbrock 1406 and a new manifold.

When I took the truck around the block tonight, I found that I can only make it move well if I manually shift it (which I did when I originally brought it home). If I leave it in drive, its like the truck is in first and second at the same time. If I manually shift it, first is firm the shift is good and second is good. When speeds get high enough to need third I shift it to drive and its like the trans is confused for a second or so. It then takes third and all is good. Id does have problems downshifting when stopping and will repeat the first + second thing if I leave it in drive.

Whats up with it? Is the kickdown still messed up? The trans and throttle cables are connected like they were on the old manifold, I just adjusted the brackets to accept the new carb. Actually used the old throttle cable/kickdown stud.

The trans fluid seems to be an acceptable shade, but considering I bought it from a old farmer, the fluid is probably stock and in dire need of a change. :eek: :-\

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Sounds like the kickdown is out of adjustment. When the accelerator is floored (WOT) the lever on the transmission should be almost all the way back; leave approx 1/2"-3/4" of trans lever travel (at the tip of the lever)

Does the fluid smeel burnt?

-SM

·
Registered
100 Posts
the valve body might need to be flushed out.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I would say that the kickdown linkage is messed up still. I don't know anything about carbs, but the one you put on is a 4bbl right? If thats the case you need to go to the bone yard and find the kickdown linkage off of a 4bbl because they are different from the 2bbl kickdown linkage and if you use the 2bbl kickdown linkage with the 4 bbl carb, you're bound to run into problems.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Right on with the last post...The approach angle of the old throttle / kick down to the "New" 4 bbl can actually bind, causing the kickdown to hang or limit its travel, causing the symptoms that you're describing. I've successfully cut and welded the 2 bbl style, (In a pinch), to make it work acceptably, but the best way to fix it right would be to go to the boneyard or order it directly from Mopar.

Dave

·
Registered
552 Posts
I made mine, but would love to order one from mopar (the boneyards here are picked clean of the 4 barrel parts). Anyone got a part number? (i have the 3 piece linkage)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts