Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this is the proper forum for this question but. What specialty tools are required to do a rebuild on a 727 if any? I've rebuilt transmitions before its just been a long time and I dont remember if theres any specialty tools required for the 727 :-[

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
just about the same things you would need to rebuild any tranny / a good snap press for changing the seals and thats about it other than basic hand tools

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I just finished mine this last saturday. Like dodgeboy said a good pair of snap ring pliers and a decent little press. The piston that engages 2nd 3rd had a steel cover plate with 9 springs that had to be press and then the snap ring taken off to replace the seals. I have a arbor press so I lucked out and got it. Other than that just basic hand tools.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It depends how involved you want to get. If you're just replacing clutches and bands, you don't need any special tools other than a snap ring pliers, which really isn't that special. Just remember brake cleaner is your best friend when you are doing this. I made that mistake and I am still fighting with my rebuilt trans to get it to work.

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
you are NOT rebuilding a tranny unless you change the piston seals under the clutches / these seals are what control the clutches / if you pull a tranny apart and one of the clutch packs is burnt that means the seal is shot and thats why the clutch smoked / if you dont replace them yer just throwing money away because yer tranny WONT work

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
you are NOT rebuilding a tranny unless you change the piston seals under the clutches / these seals are what control the clutches / if you pull a tranny apart and one of the clutch packs is burnt that means the seal is shot and thats why the clutch smoked / if you dont replace them yer just throwing money away because yer tranny WONT work
SOB! I didn't replace those when I rebuilt mine. Maybe that is why it won't shift out of first. I have to check the kickdown linage again first tho. :-\

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The snap press is the thing I'm missing. This is the first time doing this in the shed at home. Every other time I've done it at work and used shop equipment. :( Grrr I trying to figure out if it will be less expencive to do it myself or have a friend do it at work. 600 he does every thing 300 if I pull it (Now to price tools and weigh my options)

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
$300 for him to do it if you pull it isn't bad. By the time you buy the rebuild kit, torque converter and shift kit(would be a good idea) you'd be around that anyways. For $300 I'd have him do it and save myself the time.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yea-I replaced all the seals in everything. I would still do it myself. The satisfaction alone is worth it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
just remember the low rev drum update... use the inner seal from a 904.trans. there thicker and seal better...no pressure loss in low.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have R&Red the front clutch spring retainer useing three c clamps and three half inch drive sockets, it's not easy but it can be done. Kinda reminds you of a monkey f*%#ing a football. Anyway you don't need anything more exotic in the way of tools than a couple of sizes of snap-ring pliers. Best way is to find someone who will let you watch or help on your first one, but that is easier said than done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts