Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my control lever seal was leaking.  I searched and learned a lot on how to do it myself and ultimately decided to hand it to a shop instead of attempting it in my driveway.  While it was in the transmission shop I learned several things.

1.  The seal is fixed.
2.  Lots of clutch material in the pan
3.  A lot of overlap in the 2-3 upshift
4.  I have a lockup torque converter.

Ultimately this means a rebuild.

I was quoted $2100 for a rebuild with a 3year/36k mile warranty.  The company has been around for at least 30 years.  I feel pretty confident that they know what they are doing.  3-5 day turn around.  Looking at my garage, I simply don't have the space or the knowledge to do it myself.  Does this seem like a reasonable price?

·
Registered
232 Posts
To R&R and rebuild?  Not bad.  It’s not a great deal but it’s in the ball park.  If you’re good with the cost and their reviews, send it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their good guys.  I'll try to milk it until Dec when I get my bonus check, do it for cash.  They were super excited to talk about my FAST EFI system.  The guy behind the counter is rebuilding his K10 Blazer that his dad got him for his first truck.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
gremlinmt said:
So, my control lever seal was leaking.
1. The seal is fixed
the shift shaft seal is NOT fixed and one of the few transmission fixes that can be done at home by anyone / l would NOT trust the shop if they told you its fixed / search on here for "shift shaft seal" and you will find plenty of info

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had them replace it, they chose to do it by dropping the valve body and included a full service while they were at it.  This revealed a whole lot of clutch material, some of it in fair chunks in the pan.  I know I've got 200k on this transmission personally and no idea what was on it before I had it 25 years ago.  I considered doing it myself, but the location was tight, I didn't want to make a mess on the driveway by dropping the valve body, didn't have the tool to pull it out the top without dropping the valve body.  I've got a spare transmission in the garage, it's out of a W250, I could have that rebuilt and stick it in, but I don't know if it has the lockup converter.  Is there an easy way to tell?

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
$2100 sounds completely unreasonable to me. No clue how fair it is because I haven't had one done lately. Like not in 10-15 years but then it was like $400 including converter if I did the remove and install myself. Last couple I did myself and it was under $250 for clutches, bands, converter and a few soft parts.

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
...I didn't think any 727 came with a lockup...?  The overdrive units did, but I didn't think the basic 3-speed ever did...?

·
Registered
31,877 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, quite a range, I'm going to reach out and see what kind of extras I can get out of the party.  Shift kit, maybe build it up a little bit.  Give me some room in case I decided to stuff a 408 in front of it or maybe and angry snail.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the price depends greatly with location , I.E. " what the market will bear "

my comments : is this a 2x4 or a 4x4 ? 4x4 , 2100 parts and labor here ,is cheap , shops are getting up to 5 k . yes 727 did offer a lock up converter , I do not think 1981 though I'm not positive . for your own knowledge , go to this web site , poke around and read the tech write ups https://transmissioncenter.net/?s=727&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1 its a parts listing for 727 , you will find good tips / info under/at some of the listings ...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't done a silly amount of research, but yes, 4x4 with a 208 behind it.  It looks like 1978 was the first year of their lock up 727.  The weird shudder I've been feeling would be explained by a lockup converter failing.  They had the pan open, I'm assuming they can recognize the extra hardware on the valve body.  I'm thinking TF2 shift kit, higher pressure lockup spring, some upgraded bands and clutches.  Never worry about it again.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
IMO Do Not buy a high stall converter for a pick up , dragster yes,  pick up no . I've bought 2 518's ( newer 727 w/OD)  from those folks , no core , shipped to me and installed by a local garage for 300 $ ( I'm past doing them myself ) trannies work fine , no complaints . both 4x4 ....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, no high stall for this truck.  I don't ever see more than about 2800rpm in this truck, a high stall would be crazy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just chiming in to say that $2100 seems very high.
I paid about $1000 for a rebuild a year ago or so & that included a new torque converter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.