Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, my 727 keeps eating up front seals and we cant figure out why. The tranny went through a full rebuild very recently when pretty much replaced everything...including the front pump and the torque converter. The shop that built it has an awesome reputation so thats why i went with them...but after they took my tranny out 3 times and put it back in replacing torque converter, pump, seal, some gear in there (cant remember what its called) it still leaks. Any idea on whats going on? Talking to the owner of the shop he said that if its still leaking in a few days he might just give me my money back and part ways. Which is fine with me, i just wanna know how to fix this problem after i get my money back. Here are the specs on my truck...

79 Trailduster:
360 crate motor from the dealer (non magnum - stock reman) with a dealer damper (if that matters)
Pioneer flexplate (identical to stock from what i can tell)
Torqueflight 727, with hughes performance deep tranny pan (with filter adapter)
reman torque converter (not sure on the stall or any of that)
and all the bolts for the flexplate were bought from the dealer so i know they are the right length.
np203 with mile marker part time kit

any ideas? i'm totally lost...thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmm I might not be of much help but that is strange indeed.Did you get the right converter:lock up/non lock up/triple locker? dose the flex plate seem to have the same back spacing for the mounting ears?Have you checked the crank end play if it is too much there is a chance it might push on the converter too hard.

I have an 85 rc 318 4 speed and had finished a clutch install and when I adjusted the pedal end play to factory specs I got this nasty metal to metal grinding noise very bad sound.When I checked further it was the crank end play (more than likely the thrust berring) was worn letting the crank push the flywheel back too far into the bell housing grinding the teeth into the housing.A crank that can move to far can cause trouble.

Just a few thoughts good luck.

Mike.

·
Registered
30,144 Posts
firechicken just might be on to something / l,ve put flex plates on wrong and have them run but EAT front seals up real bad / if the flex plate is on wrong or bent it will eat seals up real quick / l,ve bent a couple just putting the tranny in with to much zest / just something to think about / its easy to bolt it on wrong and still have it work

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the flexplate is on right, and everything seems to line up okay and it dosent appear to be bent. And it is the right torque converter.

i'll figure it out eventually...thanks for the info guys

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You may need to index the trans bellhousing with indexing dowel pins

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Another thing, if you put a seal in dry, it'll get chewed up and start leaking. When ever you put a seal in, you should put a little grease on it so it has some lubrication untill it's broke in.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Excellent point, Duffy....

I blame the entire issue on the Black RTV that was used to hold the engine together when you ran out of bolts....

·
Registered
145 Posts
i showed this post to a mopar guy at work
he bulids a lot of torque-flites on the side
and says you realy need to check the run out.
alignment of the trans case to the block
he has found several that are way out and eat
up the seals

to do this you need a trans case
put a dial ind. on the crankshaft
and the ind. plunger in the pump bore

rotate the engine and record your measurements
at several differnt points if it is out you can get off set dowl pins to correct this!

if i rember correctly max run out for an automatic is .008 to .010 and stick si .006

hope this helps
bob

·
Registered
535 Posts
Does the torque converter does have the weight on it to counterbalance the 360? Probably a silly question but i thought i might ask!

Rod

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it does have the weight

1 - 11 of 11 Posts