Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o.k. guys.. from what i've read the 360 torque converter has a "weight" welded to it where as the 318 t/q doesn't.... so this converter in my 88 4x r/c looks to be a 360 one... anyone wanna verify or know a way to be certain?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
looks like a 360 converter to me

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
the 360 is externally balanced, the 318 is internally...so thats why the 360 converter needs that weight. If you grind it off it will work just peachy behind a 318.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AZ-Trailduster said:
the 360 is externally balanced, the 318 is internally...so thats why the 360 converter needs that weight. If you grind it off it will work just peachy behind a 318.
Naaaa. Not gonna do that... need the extra weight for the extra horsepower ;D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
put a sticker on it ;D ;D

·
Registered
367 Posts
could also be 400 cast crank or 440 cast crank, they all use weights, just a little different for each application, I do know people that have used 360 flywheel for a stick 440 cause they couldn't find 440 wheel reasonable. worked ok, no serious vibrations. I wouldn't do it, though.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hey, I've got a torque converter that I was told was for a 360, but it dosn't have any weights on that side, though it has a few smaller ones on the rounded side of the converter. Sound right?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I never seen weights on the trans side of the converter, always on the motor side on the ring or on the converter

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks 360 from here, but is it a "lock-up" converter? Don't all the 1980's Ranchargers have converter clutches that help with mileage when they lock up in high gear?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.